"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on November 30, 2018, 08:57:48 PM
John, could it be the tracking numbers were simply switched and not the items? You may get your item tomorrow or Monday from the original shipment with the wrong tracking number on it. I know you have your heart set on the TV, but let's face it. Nobody is that lucky. Let the seller know your tracking says Ft. Lauderdale and maybe he can figure out his mistake?

Regular Member Post

I sent a message to the seller as soon as my USPS delivery update said it was delivered but was not in my mail box, and my security camera showed no one removing anything from my mail box. He got back to me late last night saying it was the wrong tracking number.

Well, okay, I'll give him that, even thought the tracking number is automatically added if using eBay/PayPal to ship the item (lot faster to do it that way then manually).

But, here's what's funny about this. The item I bought said it would ship from "Item location: Redding, California, United States. The route shown in my first post had it going from California to Florida, not Wisconsin. It shipped from California as stated in the eBay listing. It still shows the item, if purchased, to be shipped from Redding, CA.

The old USPS tracking number is: 9400111699000709300173 and the new number is: 9400111899223261676298, not even close, and as shown below, the item was shipped from Fort Meyers, Florida, one day before the wrong number was delivered but one day after I bought the item - they over lapped. Here's the tracking for the new, correct number the seller sent to me.

================================
November 29, 2018, 3:10 pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item FORT MYERS, FL 33912 

November 29, 2018, 10:46 pm Accepted at USPS Regional Facility FORT MEYERS FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 29, 2018, 11:46 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility FORT MEYERS FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 2:13 am Departed USPS Regional Facility FORT MEYERS FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 5:47 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 7:05 am Departed USPS Regional Facility SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 1, 2018, 9:30 am Arrived at USPS Facility MILWAUKEE, WI 53203

December 1, 2018, 9:36 am Departed USPS Facility MILWAUKEE, WI 53203
================================

So, why would an item in an eBay listing stating it would be shipped from CA actually shipped form FL?

I am fully aware that an eBay seller with 25,000+ feedbacks drop ships a lot of stuff but I still can't come up with a scenario that would explain this.

I'm not unhappy in the least, just confused unless I don't think about it. It will arrive on Monday instead of yesterday, which is fine. I have no problem waiting a few days to get a 60 inch LCD HD TV for about $20 . . .  ::)

jsowers

Redding, CA was where the Carr fire was in August, so maybe the seller or his family are living elsewhere temporarily? Bi-coastal, in other words? You can ask him and maybe he will say why. Florida is nice this time of year.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2018/08/24/carr-fire-redding-california-destruction-aerial-view/1080313002/

Also, the smoke in the air could still make it hard to live there. The recent rains have helped a lot, I understand, but now they have mudslides. The fire damage is truly awful to see.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: AT2796 on November 30, 2018, 10:50:18 PM
what about this rolling postal strike? I've been waiting 2 weeks for some cloth covered cords from oldphoneworks. Unfortunately I deleted the tracking email so I don't know where they are hung up.

Ordered back to work to cool things down so it should be on its way again.

Terry

Sargeguy

I ordered a pair of custom binoculars. I had them delivered to a nearby drop box because I didn't want the $1200 binocular sitting on my porch while I was at work all day.  I received notice and went to pick up the binoculars and the locker popped open and was...empty.  I called UPS and they told me that the package was still on the truck and would be delivered today at my house because the lockers were all full.  I pointed out that there was at least one empty locker at the pickup point. Now I have a tracking record that states I picked up a package that I do not have possession of.  This looks like the old, "It was getting late so I decided to deliver it tomorrow" ruse that USPS is known for.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

FABphones

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 18, 2018, 11:09:26 AM
I ordered a pair of custom binoculars. I had them delivered to a nearby drop box because I didn't want the $1200 binocular sitting on my porch while I was at work all day.....

Your post reminded me of this story. This guy built a trackable package that gives porch thieves a few surprises:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo#

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Sargeguy

The amazing package that was picked up AND delivered!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I had a package out for delivery yesterday.  The carrier made their stop and I went out to check.  It wasn't there.  About 15 minutes later, the carrier came back by and delivered it.  This after making 3 circuits of my cul de sac to move things around after reading my address on the inside of the box door.  The carriers must be run ragged these days.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I have been expecting a priority package for a couple of days.  It is an electric clock and after two dry days it poured out today.  I work evenings so I had to trust to fate it wouldn't get soaked.  I stepped out the door to go to work and there was the USPS holiday minivan bringing my package.  To my hands, dry.  They are on my nice list!
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

This is probably just a glitch in their tracking system, what actually happened or something else. Scanner gone bad? Box in the wrong container? Don't know.

Ordered on December 24th, tracking told me it was in Oak Creek on the 25th meaning it would be delivered to my house on the 26th - very fast shipping. But, oh, wait, the update 3.5 hours later had it arriving in WV.

So, from a smaller town in Tennessee to Nashville to Indy to Oak Creek (Wisconsin) but then to Charleston WV and now on its way back to Oak Creek, or in short, TN to IN to WI to WV to WI.

Could Oak Creek be the new Opa Locka?

Tracking History

December 24, 2018, 6:18 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
NOLENSVILLE, TN 37135 

December 24, 2018, 4:52 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
NOLENSVILLE, TN 37135

December 24, 2018, 6:07 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
NASHVILLE TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

December 25, 2018, 1:58 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
NASHVILLE TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

December 25, 2018, 8:37 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46242

December 25, 2018, 11:05 am
Departed USPS Facility
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46242

December 25, 2018, 2:33 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 25, 2018, 6:10 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHARLESTON WV PROCESSING CENTER

December 25, 2018, 10:38 pm
CHARLESTON WV PROCESSING CENTER

December 26, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered by the expected delivery date. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

19and41

Here's a new one.  This package was listed on Ebay as being sent USPS priority.  The tracking info comes up like this:
The other two numbers have no tracking information.

— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Seems my luck with UPS and USPS has run out this holiday season. I ordered two items off ebay from separate sellers, first of which "shipped" according to USPS 12/14/18..... no further tracking information available nor has it arrived.... The second item shipped from Central Square NY, went further away (by 100 miles) to Rochester NY, then came back east and passed both its point of origin and my area and went down the NJ, sat there for two days and then came back up 80 miles to my door. Points for efficacy!
TWinbrook7

LarryInMichigan

A couple of weeks ago, I shipped a WE 233G payphone to an ebay buyer in Atlanta.  I carefully packed it, scheduled a pickup from my doorstep, and put it out for pickup.  A few hours later, it was taken by the latter carrier, but absolutely no tracking information appeared until three days later when it was at the Atlanta distribution center.  After that, it showed up at the buyer's local PO, but the tracking showed that they could not deliver it and warned that a redelivery needed to be scheduled.  I called the PO in Atlanta, but they could not understand what had happened and could not find the package.  I decided to ask the buyer last night if he received the phone, and he replied that he did and was happy with it.  I have no idea what went wrong here:

Reminder to Schedule Redelivery of your item before March 29, 2019
This is a reminder to arrange for redelivery of your item before March 29, 2019 or your item will be returned on March 30, 2019. You may arrange redelivery by using the Schedule a Redelivery feature on this page or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice.
March 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location
ATLANTA, GA 30318 
March 15, 2019, 12:00 pm
Available for Pickup
ATLANTA, GA 30318 
March 15, 2019, 4:50 am
Arrived at Post Office
ATLANTA, GA 30318 
March 14, 2019, 5:36 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
March 10, 2019, 10:38 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
SOUTHFIELD, MI 48075 
March 10, 2019
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

Larry

19and41

I live just south of Atlanta and have had several packages diverted around town to post office locations and being delayed for days.  Maybe the ATL is vying for Opa Locka status.
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: 19and41 on March 24, 2019, 08:14:11 AM
I live just south of Atlanta and have had several packages diverted around town to post office locations and being delayed for days.  Maybe the ATL is vying for Opa Locka status.

The problems started long before Atlanta.  The package should have been scanned when it was collected from my doorstep, when it arrived at and departed my local PO and when it arrived at and departed the Detroit are facility, but no tracking info is shown for any of that.  For three days, i worried that the letter carrier took it from my doorstep and dumped it somewhere.

Larry

HarrySmith

I am waiting for a phone to be delivered. Was supposed to be here yesterday. Looks like it is travelling all over South Florida. Opa Lock to Hialeah to Homestead to Miami and back! It is close to me but still so far away!

Tracking History
August 26, 2020, 10:30 am
Departed USPS Destination Facility
HOMESTEAD, FL 33032
Your item departed our HOMESTEAD, FL 33032 destination facility on August 26, 2020 at 10:30 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
August 26, 2020, 9:33 am
Arrived at Post Office
HOMESTEAD, FL 33032
August 26, 2020, 7:47 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
HOMESTEAD, FL 33032
August 26, 2020, 4:57 am
MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 26, 2020, 3:48 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
HIALEAH, FL 33014