News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ANOTHER Ivory 300 Series?!?!?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 11, 2014, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Lookie what I just picked up on eBay! There are a few stress cracks, but it's extremely common in ivory thermoplastic phones. Not bad for $39!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301151078616?txnId=962254345020
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Gilas

Great deal.  Just sold one for $237, granted no cracks but still you got a great deal.  Congrats!!!

Mr. Bones

Very nice find, at a sweet price, Christian! Enjoy!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

jsowers

An ivory 354 for $39 is a great deal. Congratulations! It's a nice looking example.

It looks like someone has replaced the coil cord. I think these had ivory cloth cords originally. The coil cord that's on it is for a 500 series phone and the strain relief doesn't fit right. A minor repair and not a deal-breaker.

Usually these ivory 354s had satin chrome switchhooks, but this one looks painted. Just an observation--maybe someone knows why they changed. I think 354s were discontinued sometime around 1955 or 56 when the 554 took over wall duty. I have seen pictures and brochures with both 554s and 354s featured during 1955.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on April 11, 2014, 10:12:09 PM
An ivory 354 for $39 is a great deal. Congratulations! It's a nice looking example.

It looks like someone has replaced the coil cord. I think these had ivory cloth cords originally. The coil cord that's on it is for a 500 series phone and the strain relief doesn't fit right. A minor repair and not a deal-breaker.

Usually these ivory 354s had satin chrome switchhooks, but this one looks painted. Just an observation--maybe someone knows why they changed. I think 354s were discontinued sometime around 1955 or 56 when the 554 took over wall duty. I have seen pictures and brochures with both 554s and 354s featured during 1955.
I'm already planning on getting a new cord from OPW; I knew the cord on it now is from the late fifties to mid sixties. I now have to get 3 ivory cloth handset cords, for my Imperial 202 (maybe), for my dial Ivory 302, and now my Ivory 354.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford