News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Med. Blue 500 handset damage - Speculation, educated guesses, and wild rumors.

Started by Greg G., January 21, 2013, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I was looking at the close up of the handset on the auction contest phone and was wondering what could have caused that damage.  It looks like it was "fried", the hole is rough around the edges and it doesn't look like a stain, but I'm not real sure.  I know that old radios can "fry" if something isn't right, but I've never heard of phones doing that.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

I have a green type 40. The rubber/neophreme gasket discolered the set like that

LarryInMichigan

That is probably the same type of stain that appears on some soft plastic 500s on the side near one of the ringer mount grommets.  It is caused by gasses given off by the neoprene.

Larry

TelePlay

Interesting topic, thanks for starting it.

That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the listing. The rough edges are interesting. If it is marked from heat, wouldn't the edges be melted smooth and the area around the hole warped?

And the damaged cord, is that part of the problem or just a coincidence?

AE_Collector

Ooops, just found this discussion about the Auction Contest #81 phone. I'm going with rubber cord discolored the handset plastic and the rubber on the cord itself may have split lengthwise for an inch or so where it enters the handset and is now wrapped tightly around the cord giving it the melted rubber look on the cord.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:
This discoloration was caused by loud shouting between a telemarketer and someone that was almost asleep when the call took place.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Yes, I forgot abut that possibility. Caused the poor guy to break the phone case as well.

Terry