News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich L55 Cord Board Questions

Started by jshprentz, August 23, 2014, 05:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshprentz

Last weekend I purchased a Leich L55 A3 cord board from an eBay seller in Charles Town, WV. To reduce its weight, I removed the cord circuit modules and writing shelf before loading everything into my station wagon. Now it waits in a storage unit while I prepare a place for it in my home. I hope to connect the board to two incoming lines and some phones scattered around the house (just for the joy of it).

Looking inside, I notice two cardboard tubes secured at the top behind the station jacks. What function do these tubes provide?

The buzzer adjustment rod has a loose nut on the buzzer end. Is something missing there?

Photos in other threads show how to apply the 24-volt and ringer power connections. Is there a guide to all 52 miscellaneous terminals?

Many thanks to those who posted information about L55 and WE555 boards. You helped me understand enough to get this far.

--
Joel Shprentz

AE_Collector

Hi Joel:

Welcome to the Rotary Phone Forum! Between us all we will get you going.

Good start I must say, rather than an old Western Electric 500 in need of restoration you've gone straight to a manual PBX! I like it. I have a similar Northern Electric cord board in my house.

I think I can answer the cardboard tube question. It will have wires to expand the board from 40 to 60 stations stored in it. As you can see there is room for another lamp/jack/designation strip on each side. Thos AE board is very similar to a NE and WE 555 boards. I don't know for sure but i wouldn't be surprised if parts were interchangeable between them.

Terry

jshprentz

Thanks, Terry.

I will look inside the cardboard tubes when I next visit the storage unit.

Another expansion feature impressed me. The unused trunk positions have blank plates on the cord board face and slotted trays inside to hold the unused trunk cords and connectors.

--
Joel