News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C4 Ringer coil

Started by Charles, January 10, 2012, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Is it possible to repair the ringer coil for a C4A ringer?

Are there any sources for these?

I have 2 ringers with bad coils (show infinite resistance on an ohm meter).

I have looked online but I have found no coils and very few ringers.

Thanks

Charles

dsk

The    coil   has    two   windings.        The inner   winding    (1000  ohm   tap)   is  connected    between
the    slate     and   black    leads    and   the    outer    winding (2650  ohm   tap)   between    the  red   and  slate-red.

Even with only one winding intact, it should be possible to get it working, using a little greater cap, and getting a load of approx 2-2.5 REN.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Which colors of wires are you checking when doing this.  It is actually kind of rare that these coils go out.  Remember there are two separate windings in the C4A ringer.

-Bill G

Charles

I checked both sets of wires and they both read infinite resistance.
Both ringers were in phones that were flooded after hurricane Katrina. The phones sat in salt water and other corrosives for several days. I just recently started restoring one of them. The first phone is a 1962 WE 500. It cleaned up nicely and works except for the ringer. I took a ringer out of a working WE 554 wall phone and it works fine in the newly restored 500.

The coils don't look bad but I assume that something corroded.

LarryInMichigan

C4A ringers are plentiful.  Some forum members probably have spares, and they appear regularly on ebay and elsewhere.  You shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for one.

Larry

Kenny C

I have quite a few if you want a couple for 2.00 + shipping. Send me a PM if you're interested.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010