"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New member, first (or second) candlestick

Started by Seijun, October 29, 2018, 10:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

Hello,
I will start with the disclaimer that I know virtually nothing about rotary phones, or how they work. I like to collect vintage tech, mostly typewriters, vacuum cleaners, and sewing machines.

My first vintage phone is a lovely skin-pink Ericofon (sort of a candlestick). It is a new case version, I believe the color is sandalwood? Yesterday I purchased my second phone, an American Bell candlestick. It may or may not be a repro. It should be here in a few days. I paid $62 plus shipping. Eventually I would love to get both of these phones working in my home. My understanding is that I will need a subset for the American Bell.

TelePlay

Quote from: Seijun on October 29, 2018, 10:10:26 PM
Yesterday I purchased my second phone, an American Bell candlestick. It may or may not be a repro.

Regular Member Post

Do you have more pictures of the candlestick? Especially one from the side showing the finger stop on the dial?

Was this an eBay purchase and if so, could you provide the eBay link?

From the one picture you posted, it looks like external screws holding the finger stop on and if so, it could be a #2 dial, well worth the total price you paid for the phone.

Seijun

There were no pictures of the fingerstop side. Here are two more pictures that may help. I was very suspicious because it was a BIN and no one had grabbed it yet. I figured there must be some red flag holding the experienced collectors at bay, lol. For the price though, I felt like taking the chance.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

These external screws (red arrow) to me say #2 dial.

The stick is in rough condition but those who know sticks can better comment.

Seijun

I would like to repaint it black at some point. Why were so many stripped?

RotarDad

Hello, and welcome to the forum!  My guess on the frequent stripping of these was non-collectors wanting to "fix" that old worn paint, and the fact that polished brass was in style a few decades ago.  Most folks here prefer the original finish or a correct repaint if absolutely necessary.
Paul

RB

Not sure, but candle looks WE, if so, I think a 315 wood box, with ringer and induction coil is what you may be lookin for?
The sandalwood phone, should plug right into a "today" wall socket and work fine.
Assuming it is working now...

poplar1

Quote from: RB on October 30, 2018, 01:18:46 PM
Not sure, but candle looks WE, if so, I think a 315 wood box, with ringer and induction coil is what you may be lookin for?

315 is a local battery subset, with hand generator and requiring external dry cells. Not used with dial telephones.

The 51AL needs a common battery, sidetone subset:
534A, 295A, or 334A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RB

You are right, again,poplar1...  :D
was not thinkin bout the dial...all my old stuff, is local batt.
Would the 315 still be compatible with the transmitter and rec on that phone?

Seijun

Got the AmBell candlestick today, more pics!

Seijun

So what is the general consensus on installing modern networks into old phones? I am discovering that a subset is a bit out of my budget right now :/

Additionally, when it comes to repainting, would an engine enamel be acceptable? Duplicolor sells a semi-gloss and a low-gloss black.

FABphones

Quote from: Seijun on October 31, 2018, 02:18:23 AM
So what is the general consensus on installing modern networks into old phones? I am discovering that a subset is a bit out of my budget right now :/

For my collection, I prefer as original as possible. If it was me I would wait for the right subset to come along at an affordable price.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Quote from: FABphones on October 31, 2018, 07:59:11 AM
For my collection, I prefer as original as possible. If it was me I would wait for the right subset to come along at an affordable price.
Agreed.
There are always subsets available.
You can, I believe, purchase a small network for candles, but much work and prob same price, "in the end", as a subset.
For paint, I would think, any enamel based paint would look ok , assuming you did a good job of painting it.
Also, the original mix, may be available??? don't know, you would have to look into it.

Seijun

I have not found any mention of the original Japan mix still being around (I assume it was Japanned). I found one source for a Japan pre-mix at $80 a quart, as well as a homemade recipe.
http://www.libertyonthehudson.com/pontypool.html
https://www.plane-dealer.com/single-post/2016/10/15/What-is-that-stuff-japanning

These two posts on a mechanics forum also proved insightful
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/japanning-vs-paint-219733/
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/japanning-substitute-214521/

Seijun

Thank you to a gracious member, here is my "new" 534R subset. I don't know how it is different from the 534A. It looks to be wired as anti-sidetone?