News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 511A Wiring?

Started by brshaffer, May 20, 2014, 07:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brshaffer

Here's a nitty-gritty question for some of our electrical engineeringly inclined folks.

I recently acquired a project 511A that came in "under cover" as a normal 500 on ebay.  I've done some research on it and understand how it was intended to be used: a two line phone in an office setting with an exclusion key to cut off the secretary listening in.

My question is, being that I don't have the network or setup to use the phone as designed, is it possible to re-wire it as a 500E with a ringer on/off switch?  I.E. using the exclusion key to activate the talk/dial circuits and using the line selector as a ringer on/off? 

I searched the available BSPs for 511 wiring and got something of a hit about alternate wiring setups but it wasn't very specific. 

Thanks in advance!

poplar1

It should be possible to do this. The 511 tables will show "Turn Key Used to Cut Off"..."Ringer in Set." This is in Tables D and E of 502-515-400 issue 5. (Original factory wiring is shown in Fig. 4.)

Modification for one incoming line with ringer cutoff:

Connect incoming line (Green) to L1 and (Red) to L2 on the network.
Connect turn key leads (Slate-Green) to L1 and (Slate-Red) to L2.
Connect ringer (Red) to 1 and (Black) to 2, slate to K and slate-red to A.

For the "Lift to talk" feature (like a 500F):

You will have to remove the blue dial wire that is on F, and connect it in series with one set of contacts of the exclusion key.* When the plunger is pulled up, this will complete a path through the excl. key contacts to connect the blue dial wire to F. (The green dial wire remains on RR.)

[*I believe this would be the blue and white wires which should already be on E1 and E2. You would then disconnect the other two exclusion switch wires which are probably on 1 and 2.]

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.