News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gpo746l telephone ringing issues in spain

Started by Applemac, October 27, 2015, 07:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Do you have some equipment for testing? Ohm meter? or??
dsk

Applemac

dsk

This page have a few interesting pictures, among them the pre mod schematics.
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_706_3.htm

Of course a component could be defect, Mechanical test of the ringer.  Try to move the armature, it should move without resistance centered at the pin, it should hit or almost hit the gongs with the clapper (hammer).
Look at the wires. As you see they are crossed so the connection between the 2 coils are in a specific order.

If this are OK, we have to find a way to test the breaks in the wires. put your Fluke in OHMs position.  Unplug the phone and start measuring. Holding the hook in on hook position, metering between the 2 wires from the ringer should give 1000 ohms (1.0 k ohms).
If yes, move to white (T18) and where the blue was, T6, you should get the same reading. The same for T18 to T7.
If you have the option of measuring capacitors (condensers) try to measure between T6 and T8. Any reading between 1 and 2 microFarad is OK.

dsk

Applemac

Dsk, my ringing coil is different to the one in your pic, its soldered to the pcb but i get 1.0 k ohms there. Between the white and where the blue I get 1.1 k . The bell swings freely when moved manually. Between t18 and T7 infinitive

dsk

Quote from: Applemac on October 30, 2015, 10:57:29 AM
Dsk, my ringing coil is different to the one in your pic, its soldered to the pcb but i get 1.0 k ohms there. Between the white and where the blue I get 1.1 k . The bell swings freely when moved manually. Between t18 and T7 infinitive
That seems to be good, the next is to be sure it is connection between these 2 terminals. If not put in a strap.
With a little luck it is solved.

dsk

G-Man

According to your photo, the straps between terminals 7&8 6&7are missing. If the bell still doesn't ring, replace the resistor across terminals 4&5 with a piece of wire as well.

twocvbloke

This is how my black 706L is wired in its unconverted 2-wire operation state and rings perfect, wire it up in this manner and you should be set... :)

Leave the resistor as-is though, that is reducing the REN from 4 to 1, meaning it puts less of a load on your line...

EDIT:
Replaced the picture with a corrected version...

dsk

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 30, 2015, 04:11:14 PM
This is how my black 706L is wired in its unconverted 2-wire operation state and rings perfect, wire it up in this manner and you should be set... :)

Leave the resistor as-is though, that is reducing the REN from 4 to 1, meaning it puts less of a load on your line...
:) I'm sure you are right, it rings, but no connection between 17-18 should not ring, if the map is according to terrain (schematic = telephone). In that case, I really don't understand ...

dsk

G-Man

The most glaring problem is that the capacitor is not connected to the bell since terminals 6&7 are not connected.

And yes, the resistor helps to reduce the resistance of the low impedance bell and should be left in place; but only if it will ring satisfactory on the Spanish line. Otherwise, it should also be strapped, as shown in the schematic.

The other straps should be ok but if the problem persist, then the blue wire on terminal 6 may need to be removed since the bell would now be connected directly across the line.

twocvbloke

Quote from: dsk on October 30, 2015, 04:36:52 PM
:) I'm sure you are right, it rings, but no connection between 17-18 should not ring, if the map is according to terrain (schematic = telephone). In that case, I really don't understand ...

dsk

Actually, no, you are right, I missed the fact that strap was missing!!  :o

So yes, strap between T17 and T18... ;D

G-Man

Terminals 17&18 are show to be strapped on his telephone.

twocvbloke

Quote from: G-Man on October 30, 2015, 04:54:57 PM
Terminals 17&18 are show to be strapped on his telephone.

On his yes, mine was missing for some reason (sorted now though)... :)

EDIT:
Corrected my posted picture above...

G-Man

To reiterate, terminals 6&7 definitely need to be strapped. He should then test the set for ringing and if unsuccessful, then strap 4&5 together.

It is also possible that the blue wire will need to be disconnected if it is bridged across another wire at the cord-end of the adapter but first, try the above steps.

Applemac

DSK and to all other g man ect I have to say thank you so much the phone is ringing. I have posted a picture below of the strapping I have in place and the wiring as it is now. That way anyone else whom has this issue in Spain can see whats needed in order to get the phone to ring.

Once again thank you all so very much.