News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Lock

Started by HarrySmith, January 12, 2013, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just picked this up from ebay, mainly because I am curious as to how it locks the dial pad!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110999859289
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Owain

Yes, a black lock really co-ordinates with a red phone.

Nice you can use it on teletypes as well though.

HarrySmith

Yes, another reason for the purchase, I am tired of unauthorized use of my teletype! >:(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

These only work for a week or so and then they fail. Roughly the same time frame as when one loses interest in putting it on the phone (or on Harry's Teletype) each time you leave the room.

Terry

twocvbloke

I'm guessing it works on a rubber-sucker principle, like those clamp things you can get for pulling out dents in cars or lifting sheets of glass, turning the key pulls the sucker tight (making sure to have licked it first), drawing a vacuum on one of the buttons, and hey presto, a "locked" phone, that is until someone comes along and just taps out a number on the hookswitches... :D

AE_Collector

It could also press one of the buttons when locked rendering all other keys useless.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 12, 2013, 07:34:10 PM
It could also press one of the buttons when locked rendering all other keys useless.

Terry

Except that it says the phone can be used for answering...If one of the buttons were pressed, you would not be able to use the phone.
-Bill G

paul

This isn't the same model,  but it is a picture of the underside of another touch-tone dial lock.

Phonesrfun

With those teeth, it looks like it could roughen the outside edge of the buttons, and possibly damage them to the point that they could no longer be pressed.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 13, 2013, 01:18:06 PM
With those teeth, it looks like it could roughen the outside edge of the buttons, and possibly damage them to the point that they could no longer be pressed.

That is yet another way to limit outgoing calls!

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2013, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 13, 2013, 01:18:06 PM

That is yet another way to imit outgoing calls!

Terry

I guess so.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Got the lock, actually a pretty clever design and it works well. The metal corners dig into the key on each side. Left a little mark and I think it would be a nice slice with repeated installation & removal.

Also for those of you who have posted pictures of your workshops & phone rooms you can see mine in the first picture, half the dining room table!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

QuietStove

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 12, 2013, 07:29:08 PM
until someone comes along and just taps out a number on the hookswitches... :D

Or has a pocket tone dialer....

HarrySmith

I found another type of phone lock on Ebay! Of course I had to get this one too! This one locks the hookswitch plungers so tapping is out of the question. Pretty simple design and works really well. States on the package "fits all standard desk phone", which translates to 500 & 2500 model types, as pictured on the package. I tried it on a 302 but did not fit, with a little bending it might work. Put it on a 5302, worked but fit a little loose, again, maybe bending it would help. Also stated on the package is it may require bending on some phones!
BTW, I had to buy a whole box of these so I have some extras! If anyone is interested I will send you one for $12.00 to your door in the US. Also interested in trading for ??????????
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Although that is quite a clever lock, I can see one rather obvious issue, if you haven't got the key, you can't answer the phone when it rings... :D