News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens V Sa tist 68f (W28 with a switch base?)

Started by tubaman, August 16, 2019, 03:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Oh these Siemens phones have such snappy names!
This arrived yesterday and was an eBay purchase - £28 (seller sent me an offer) plus £10 p&p. About US$45 I suppose.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Siemens-Halske-Black-Telephone-German-Vintage-Dial-Phone/233306196432
( dead link 05-20-21 )

The base parts and dial are dated 1929. The handset has a later transmitter cap I believe and the cord is also a later replacement.
The label on the base indicates that it was probably in service well into the 1970's.
I'm not sure exactly what its purpose would be - a secretary set perhaps with the ability to transfer to the boss?
I'd also like to make some labels for the holders but don't know what to put in them. Another I've found online has 'Amt' and 'Nst' but I've no idea if that is correct. Perhaps a German speaker can assist please.
Anyway, here she is:

tubaman

Here's the circuit diagram:

countryman

Nice one! Was it in service in the UK?
Siemens favoured automated PBX over key systems, which are built simpler but are harder to install with many wires. My guess is this set was set up to select between "Amt" = office line and "Nst" (Nebenstelle) = PBX. One bell was in the set, the other in a subset ("Beikasten"). The red thing, is it a push button or an indicator light?
The secretary or operator could not immediately redirect calls to the phones on the PBX. These also had selector switches. So the secretary would call the boss on the PBX while putting the external caller on hold, then the boss would pick up the call with the selector on his set.
So I'm still unsure whether this was the "secretary" or the "boss" set.
I could post your pics on the german forum https://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl if you want. There are some S&H experts.
Also have a look at erel.de : http://www.erel.de/INH/13/1333200/index.htm he has a number of W28 sets.
V = Vermittlungsapparat, switch set
SA = Selbstanschluss, automatic set (later changed into W = Wählapparat)
tist = Tischstation, desk set

tubaman

@countryman,

I suspect it was not UK as the numbers for the dates on the base label are written in a continental style, if you know what I mean.
The rest of your explanation makes perfect sense as I see the "Beikasten" in the top left corner of the diagram.
The red thing is a push button and is shown bottom left on the diagram in my post above.

Happy for you to post on the German forum if you don't mind as my schoolboy German (failed!) would never cut-it on there.

I'm also watching another one right now (pictures below) which might be the other half of the set.

Now off to make labels....
:)

countryman

This set has an indicator for a busy office line, unlike the first... wonder how the configuration might have been...
I'll put the pics onto the german forum when I find time to, and see what happens. My namesake Dietrich (Dietrich Arbenz) is on there frequently and usually answers Siemens posts  ;) - he's the author of a book about them.

Too bad that the number rings of the N28 or N30 dials are always scratched. Must have been operated by ladies with skinny fingers and long finger nails...

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on August 16, 2019, 03:06:01 PM

Too bad that the number rings of the N28 or N30 dials are always scratched. Must have been operated by ladies with skinny fingers and long finger nails...

Yes, the one on my phone is pretty much the same as that.  :(
But I suppose if it was in use from 1929 until at least 1977 it hasn't done too badly really.