News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pedestal Phones - What's The Scoop?

Started by Dennis Markham, December 04, 2010, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

A relative sent me a photo of a phone I referred to as a "Pedestal Phone".  There's probably a more accurate name for it.  The relative is interested in buying it from a local antique store and it's priced at $95.  There is currently one on eBay listed as a Buy It Now for $549.99.  I told her in my opinion that seller is never going to sell it at that price.  I really have no idea what these are or who makes them.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Here's a photo of the one at the antique shop.  The link is for the current eBay auction.

http://goo.gl/mrhY8

HarrySmith

From what I remember reading on the lists it is a cheap Japanese replica made in the 70's. Not worth that money in my opinion if that is true.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Thanks Harry, that was my opinion as well, but I don't even know who makes them.  I guessed Taiwan.

LarryInMichigan

They were probably made in Japan.  That was where cheap junk was made in those days.  IMO, they are tacky.  I think that $95 is way too much.

Larry

mienaichizu

those are Japanese replicas, a relative of mine own one. I also seen one for sale in one of the antique shops I frequently visits. Those are also sold at a relatively high price for a replica. I remember the one I saw has a selling price of $100.

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the replies to this.  I think I have convinced my sister not to waste her money.