News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1965 Northern Electric 554

Started by b3tamax11, July 06, 2016, 05:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

Picked up this nice Northern Electric 554 over the weekend at an antiques market, it's in rough shape but it has a black  (albeit plastic) switchhook. It's pretty much dates matching except for the transmitter.

b3tamax11

Finally got this one finished. Only had to replace the line cord on it, and it's up and running great. Polished with Novus polish.

AL_as_needed

Nice set, cleaned up very well. I did not know that the 554s also had plastic switch hooks, was that an official parts change-over to work with the lighter weight all plastic handsets? Or was it a refurb item? I ask as I have a '73 554 A/B with chrome metal switch hook and bakelite handset.
TWinbrook7

b3tamax11

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 22, 2016, 08:23:33 PM
Nice set, cleaned up very well. I did not know that the 554s also had plastic switch hooks, was that an official parts change-over to work with the lighter weight all plastic handsets? Or was it a refurb item? I ask as I have a '73 554 A/B with chrome metal switch hook and bakelite handset.

I believe Northern Electric supplied black plastic switch hooks in the 1950s and 1960s only. To my knowledge, it was only available on black sets.