News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Calculagraph

Started by sebbel, September 23, 2013, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I found my self a keeper. It's not a Telephone per say but will fit well in my Northern Electric collection. While i know Calculagraph had use in the telephone industry I don't know that this model did. I looks like and early model base on a Seth Thomas movement. It's a bit rough and missing the front glass.  The seller was originaly asking $100 got no buyer and relisted at $50. It was a local pickup and I was the only bidder.

It work perfectly. I'm lucky that both main springs are good since the item was sold "untested" "as is" which usually really means I tested the crap of that thing and couldn't get it to work. Now I just have cosmetic work to do.

Seb.

AE_Collector

I think that all Calculagraph's were used in the phone business for the same thing. They recorded the start time and then the end time which also printed the total elapsed time of phone calls onto cards that were placed into the Calculagraph by operators. This was almost always for billing Long Distance Calls by either Toll Operators or possibly by local operators in smaller areas that did their own billing on circuits.

Terry

sebbel

Yes that's correct. There were definately used for that but not only that, The were used to calculate anything that has a duration from rental time in pool hall and bowling alleys to runners time in marthons.

I was under the impression that the first model use in telco was the model 33 but after reading the documentation its clear that they came into play way earlier. Since this one is branded Northern Electric is almost definate

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/4564-calculagraph-model-33

Since this one is branded Northern Electric is almost definately a telephone calculagraph. with my 2 main obsessions being telephones and clocks this thing is like the holy grail.

Seb.

DavePEI

Quote from: sebbel on September 23, 2013, 12:08:17 PM
Yes that's correct. There were definately used for that but not only that, The were used to calculate anything that has a duration from rental time in pool hall and bowling alleys to runners time in marthons.

I was under the impression that the first model use in telco was the model 33 but after reading the documentation its clear that they came into play way earlier. Since this one is branded Northern Electric is almost definate

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/4564-calculagraph-model-33

Since this one is branded Northern Electric is almost definately a telephone calculagraph. with my 2 main obsessions being telephones and clocks this thing is like the holy grail.

Nice one Sebbell.

I have two of the model 33s but none of the earlier versions. Yes, these were also used in telephone before the smaller model 33 version. As you mentioned, they were commonly used in pool halls, etc. However, the fact yours is branded NE, in all likelyhood points to its having been used in Telco use!

Beautiful!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

The glass has a beveled edge, not just flat or domed .At least mine has beveled glass

G-Man

At least up until a couple of years ago, you could contact Calculagraph's successor company, Control Products, Inc., and upon giving them the model and serial numbers, they will tell you who the original purchaser was. They also have/had new ribbons for them.  It's been awhile so I don't know if they will still take the time or if the new employees even know what a Calculagraph is.

Here is the Wiki entry for Calculagraphs:

The unit consists of a clock and a precision gear-based set of three printing wheels, which print on standardized accounting tickets. One of the wheels presents a clock face, and indicates the time at which a measured interval commenced. It is printed by pushing forward on the right handle. Pulling back on that same handle prints a pair of hollow dial faces with quantities printed around the outside. The ticket is then removed and set aside until the completion event occurs. The ticket is then re-inserted into the Calculagraph, and the left handle is pulled back. This prints a pair of arrow indicators in the center of each previously printed dial, pointing at the elapsed time since the original event. The center of each arrow contains a legend.
Models 6 and 110 were based on the original design, and a complete re-design led to the Model 33. The original clocks were wind-up, using the popular Seth Thomas #10 movement. Electric models included 110v and 20v versions.
Different versions were used as employee time clocks, for professional billing, job cost accounting, room and equipment rental, and many other applications. They could be configured to print in various time formats, such as minutes and seconds, minutes and tenths, or hours and minutes. The pool hall versions printed in dollars and cents. Others printed the date along with the start time.

G-Man

I noticed that you posted in the OFF-TOPIC board but since Calculagraphs were very much a part of the telephone industry they would not be off-topic.

In my humble opinion, it should be included in TELEPHONE SWITCHING - MAGNETO AND CORD BOARDS.

sebbel

Quote from: rdelius on September 23, 2013, 04:06:37 PM
The glass has a beveled edge, not just flat or domed .At least mine has beveled glass

Could you send me a picture showing the edge of the glass as best as possible? I'd like to get something as close as possible to the original.
Seb.

sebbel

Quote from: G-Man on September 23, 2013, 05:50:09 PM
I noticed that you posted in the OFF-TOPIC board but since Calculagraphs were very much a part of the telephone industry they would not be off-topic.

In my humble opinion, it should be included in TELEPHONE SWITCHING - MAGNETO AND CORD BOARDS.

Yes. As I explained in the other post I had assume calculagraph were not is used in telcos prior to the redesigned Model 33.  This is not the case. They were in use much earlier. So you are right this is not offtopic. I suppose a moderator could move it to another thread.

EDIT:  So moved
Seb.

rdelius

It could take awhile for a photo, it is in storage.Mine does not run .has a bad escapement gear

Doug Rose

Seb....I love the porcelain face on the clock. Resembles a dial plate. Really rally nice....Doug
Kidphone

sebbel

Quote from: rdelius on September 23, 2013, 08:35:46 PM
It could take awhile for a photo, it is in storage.Mine does not run .has a bad escapement gear

From what I know those all use a seth thomas #10 movement the same double barrel movement that is found in Seth Thomas Ship clocks.  Being and American Movement the gear are readily available.  It would not be too hard to fix.  Because its a barrel movement (as opposed to open spring) it can be safely taken appart by a novice clockmaker.

Movements also pop up on ebay for a reasonable price.
Seb.