"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does anybody recognize this phone?? THINK it is part of a switchboard/intercom

Started by Krovy, October 13, 2010, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krovy

Hey everyone!  Just signed up today!

I purchased this phone at an estate sale, and it has a PUSH TO TALK on the side!  I THINK it is from an OLD SCHOOL, Police Station, or something to do with the Military...can anyone help me out?? It has been VERY VERY difficult to find information or anything that even LOOKS like this!  Also, does ANYONE have any IDEA of the value..???  Thank you so much!@  Darin

LarryInMichigan

That is not really a telephone, but a microphone which could have been used anywhere a microphone was needed, such as with a PA system or radio.  It may have the same base and transmitter as a desk stand (candlestick) phone, with the PTT button in place of the receiver hook and switch.

I do not know what the value would be, but I would expect a minimum of $50 or so.

Larry

Krovy

Thank you!  I think you are probably right, and that is KIND oif what I was guessing!  It does have a mark on the bottom, but it is HARD to make out. 

I was HOPING to find a brand like Western Electric and such...but I DID find an ad from 1908 that showed a POLICE station using something like this!

HarrySmith

Yes, looks like a microphone. If you open it up you may find manufacturer marking either inside the base or inside the mouthpiece. Could very well be Western Electric mouthpiece.

Can you say "Car 54 Where Are You?"
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Krovy

Well,  I opened the bottom, and all wiring was there, and all good too!!!

however, I was kind of AFRAID to open the mouthpiece!  Didnt want to break it!

It is in SUCH great condition, that I kinda hated to!!

thank you tho!

Oh, and great YODA qoute!@

Krovy

thanks again Larry!  I was HOPING it was actually...so that is good!  TONITE i am going to open the mouthpiece to make sure!

Thank you! 

HarrySmith

Welcome to our forum. Since you do not actually have an old phone you may still have time to save yourself ;D
Once the phone bug bites and phoneitis sets in, it is incurable :D
And old phones multiply profusely ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Krovy

Well, THIS ONE may not be an OLD PHONE, but I DO have about 25 rotary dials, and some old disney and snoopy phones too!

SC's, and 500's as well!

I even just fell into a BOZO PHONE, and 3 LIL SPROUT phones that are BRAND NEW in the package from 1984..@...I am selling the sprout phones!

However, thank you for the warning! 

So far my coolest one is probably my grandmothers wall phone...she had when she was a little girl!  VGC, from the 20's....not selling that one!  LOL

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

That is a microphone, However it is just a hookswitch and receiver away from being a telephone.
I was told Radio guys would convert candlesticks into microphones and the telephone collectors would turn microphones into phones.

My understanding was that (at one point) you could order them either way.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Krovy

COOL INFO!  Keep it coming people!!!  THANK YOU BIG TIME!!! Summer of 69

There is a music and movie theme going here!  :)

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI was told Radio guys would convert candlesticks into microphones and the telephone collectors would turn microphones into phones

I have also heard of people converting phones into lamps :(

K1WI

Hi      Also new member to the forum , Lots of great imformation !

Nice microphone probably military or railroad. All the major phone manufacturers made microphones . I've collected a few Western Electric mikes over the years. The three in photo are a WE 1049A with extender bracket , a WE 389W that was used for news beoadcasts at a New York radio station , and a WE type CW930 with base that was part of a very early army/navy radio station.
   Some of the early carbon mikes actually have awesome audio. The one you've got probably has a lot of history.

To all on the forum thanks for being there to share your knowledge

Dennis Markham

K1WI, Welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for that information.  That is a very nice photograph.  I can't help but notice the Red 302...very nice. I like that RCA mike with the K1WI on the top.  Is that you radio call sign??