Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 14, 2010, 07:21:28 PM
Am I the only one without a colored 302?

No Kenny, you're not.

I have yet to add one to my collection.  but I will not buy one from eBay because I want to see it before I buy it.  I want to make sure there are no unknown issues.   

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jim Stettler

It took years to find my 1st colored 302. It was a n Ivory 302 with beuatiful color. It had 1 cracked corner and a broken ear on the back.

I was at a yard sale and asked the proprietor (a stranger). If he had any old phones.
He pulled this out of a shed .
It was marked $2.00 in sharpie. He pulled out his sharpie, crossed out $2.00 and wrote $1.00.
I happily buck-ed up and had a colored 302.
Probably was summer of 1990.
Jim

(The sharpie did clean off easily)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

K1WI

Found a photos showing a typical "telephone" type transmitter being used in a US navy radio room on a World War I sub chaser. The one in this picture is a Western Electric CW-960 .  One VERY odd feature of all WE "candlestick" mikes was that the push to talk switch was always on the right hand side when it left the factory.

K1WI

OOPS   Forgot to mention it is the microphone laying on desk  in previous photo with cord wrppped around the stem.  Most of the WE mikes were hand held with no base.

Wallphone

I think that explains the candlestick phone I saw awhile back with the receiver hook on the right. It could have been one of these converted to a candlestick. Thanks for the pics.

deedubya3800

Whaaah? You don't have a colored 302? I know where there's a gutless metal 302 from 1945 painted pink with a clear 5J dial and a lamppost sticking out of it for only $50. ;)

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

I do know there's someone out there who recently became the owner of two red 302's, but he paid $698 for the pair, not counting shipping. What the heck is he gonna do with TWO red 302's?

Adam

Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

deedubya3800

I didn't think of that, but if so, that would sure be worth what he gave for them, but would that not reduce the value of the others out there?

Adam

You would have to keep the breeding experiment a secret, and offer them out for adoption occasionally, one at a time.  You'd also have to wait for them to grow up, otherwise you'd have to sell them as "salesman samples".  (Did they do those for 302's?  I think I've only seen those mini phones in 500's and Princess...)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

Quote from: masstel on October 16, 2010, 09:48:21 PM
You would have to keep the breeding experiment a secret, and offer them out for adoption occasionally, one at a time.  You'd also have to wait for them to grow up, otherwise you'd have to sell them as "salesman samples".  (Did they do those for 302's?  I think I've only seen those mini phones in 500's and Princess...)

I have heard of mini trimlines. I have never seen any.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

ritchie

Quote from: Krovy on October 13, 2010, 05:46:40 PM
Thank you!  I think you are probably right, and that is KIND oif what I was guessing!  It does have a mark on the bottom, but it is HARD to make out. 

I was HOPING to find a brand like Western Electric and such...but I DID find an ad from 1908 that showed a POLICE station using something like this!

If you want another one to have a pair so you can play with them ...oo..err... I know where one is for sale. It's marked "Northern Electric Company Limited" and has an old sticker "Canadian Aviation Electronics LTD"

-Ritchie