News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picked up a Northern electric handset with hook switch What was it used on?

Started by ritchie, November 06, 2010, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritchie

Picked up a Northern electric handset with hook switch any ideas what was it used on?

HarrySmith

Looks like Northern Electric's version of the spacemaker. Appears a dial could be added on the top, similar to the WE 211.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ritchie

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 06, 2010, 02:39:09 PM
Looks like Northern Electric's version of the spacemaker. Appears a dial could be added on the top, similar to the WE 211.

Cool, thanks harry. It looks very much like the WE211 indeed! I didnt know the "space makers" were just a handset and a hookswitch.

bingster

I wonder if this one had some special purpose.  It would normally have been a 211 in both the US and Canada, but for some reason this one has a special code on it.  That seems unusual.  I have a Northern Electric 211, but it doesn't have any markings like that on it.  It's identical to the Western set, but for the Northern markings on the handset and dial back.

Quote from: ritchie on November 06, 2010, 02:44:52 PMI didnt know the "space makers" were just a handset and a hookswitch.

Yep, the ones with the G handset normally were installed with a 685A subset to provide the network and ringer for the phone
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

Maybe one of our Canadian members can share some details on it or maybe there is a catalog to check in? I have never seen those marking either but I do not have a lot of Northern stuff :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 06, 2010, 04:50:50 PM
Maybe one of our Canadian members can share some details on it or maybe there is a catalog to check in? I have never seen those marking either but I do not have a lot of Northern stuff :)

Sorry, I can't help either. I have 2 or 3 NE 211's but they aren't marked like this one.

I could be wrong but, since Ritchie's been on this forum.......I think he might be getting hooked on phones? Has anyone else noticed this subtle change?

Terry