News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The cost of importing, yeesh........

Started by twocvbloke, February 29, 2012, 02:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

i just spent $27 on some small items from america. works out at £16.75. VAT would be £3.35.....plus £8 to royal mail = £11.35 fees...... so $27 becomes $45.30. crazy.

with this system, if yr honest you get punished.

the seller agreed to write a nominal value on the package so i'll avoid the charges. if he hadn't i expect i'd have changed my mind about the purchase - so her majesty's gov't would get zilch anyway.

twocvbloke

Yep, honesty sucks, it's like being penalised for doing the right thing, where you get others falsifying import info from other countries to evade taxes, and they're never caught (and even if they are, they end up with a slap on the wrist and a fine, and told not to do it again), but that's politics for you, unfortunately...  :-\

And you have to be careful about getting the seller to declare the wrong value, if caught, they could be prosecuted themselves, which wouldn't be a good thing for either of you... :o

david@london

...........i think it's different for a used or vintage item though? in the sense that the seller can charge anything they like. anyway i refuse to pay 74% tax on anything.

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on December 12, 2012, 03:19:35 PManyway i refuse to pay 74% tax on anything.

If you drive a car, you're probably paying more than that... :D

twocvbloke

Don't forget the road tax (inc. VAT), the VAT on insurance, the VAT on MOT testing, and the VAT on all the things you buy for the vehicle, it's got to be the most heavily taxed things that people own... :D

It's no wonder they had the Boston tea party across the pond, shame nobody is planning it over here... ::)

LarryInMichigan

Someone has to pay for all of the palaces and the immigrants.

Larry

Tom B

Jeez, Larry
Don't get us started on either of those....
Tom

twocvbloke