News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Covers to make 302 base into subset

Started by Adam, September 03, 2011, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Just noticed this guy on eBay.  He sells covers that you can use to convert a 302 base into a subset.

http://tinyurl.com/445szuq  ( dead link 10-17-21)

They look nice.  He's charging $28.00 plus $6.00 shipping.

Don't know if you knew about this guy, never saw this being advertised on eBay before.  I post this as a public service, I have no connection with this seller.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

I assumed it was Ray Kotke but it isn't. This guy is in Hawaii and the yare made of steel rather than plastic. Interesting.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Ray Kotke's site, with the page that mentioned the 302 covers can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/3fqlkak  ( dead link 10-17-21 )

He doesn't show any pictures.  Last time I spoke with him he had some covers available in the $25 price range.  I have a few of these and they make a nice "subset" to use with sets that require one.

Attached are some photos of an Ivory one that I bought from him a few years ago.  At one time he made them in Ivory as well as Black.

I found a photo I had with a black reproduction cover too.  (Attached)

GG

These types of ringers can't be mounted on the wall because the screws that attach the housings have to be installed from the underside of the base.   At first I thought that was a bit of a compromise, but the idea has grown on me. 

It makes the whole setup portable, the ringer box can sit on your desk, and it's a good way to recycle 302s that have smashed-up housings. 

You can also install a discrete switch underneath (without drilling holes or destroying anything) to turn off the ringer, or if you want to fiddle around with components a bit, switch in a smaller capacitor or a series resistor to turn down the volume.

Ray Kottke's reputation is so strong that he doesn't need pictures of everything he produces: his work is superb, so you can buy sight-unseen and know you're getting the best.  (Here's me wondering about his prices for complete sets, and when I'll be able to afford one...)

Bill

QuoteThese types of ringers can't be mounted on the wall because the screws that attach the housings have to be installed from the underside of the base.
If you want to mount one on the wall, it shouldn't be hard to cut a couple keyhole slots in the base. There appears to be plenty of area to do so. Then, assuming you are hanging it on a drywall wall, a couple wall anchors/picture hangers - the kind where you can back out the screw after compressing the body of the hanger - would let you adjust the hanger screw length to fit. Throw away the brass hook, and hang the phone directly from the screws. Search for "molly" on the Lowe's web site, for example.

Just a thought ...

Bill

paul-f

Another approach is to mount it on a backboard that extends far enough to provide access to mounting screws.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

..... and how do you fasten the cover back on with the screws being on the BOTTOM????
John

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 12, 2011, 11:48:28 PM
..... and how do you fasten the cover back on with the screws being on the BOTTOM????

Holes through the back board which line up with the screws. Stick your screwdriver through them and tighten away :-* Once tightened to the back board, screw the back board to the wall.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

djtownsend

All,

I know there are instructions on how to wire a 302 base to make it a subset.  I just want to use it for testing phones I'm refurbishing but can't find the thread that describes the connections.  Can someone please direct me to the thread that describes these connections?  I see the photos in this thread and I think I have it wired up until the point where I want to connect the wires from the subset to the phone I'm testing.  I'd also like to verify my current wiring is correct.  Like I said, I did what I could w/ the pictures here but I need a more thourough description.

Any help here would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan

bigdaddylove

Quote from: djtownsend on September 13, 2011, 11:36:09 AM
All,

I know there are instructions on how to wire a 302 base to make it a subset.  I just want to use it for testing phones I'm refurbishing but can't find the thread that describes the connections.  Can someone please direct me to the thread that describes these connections?  I see the photos in this thread and I think I have it wired up until the point where I want to connect the wires from the subset to the phone I'm testing.  I'd also like to verify my current wiring is correct.  Like I said, I did what I could w/ the pictures here but I need a more thourough description.

Any help here would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan

Here ya go: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

djtownsend

Wallphone

Here's the diagram from the TCI Library if anyone needs it.

< http://tinyurl.com/6g8kjr9 >

Doug Pav

TCI Library 302 subset wiring