News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm giving an oldie the gel treatment.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 06, 2009, 01:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I've taken the plunge and bought the materials for a peroxide dip for my faded Pink 500.
It's coated, sitting, and I'll know what happened in the morning.
I'll let you know how it turned out.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 06, 2009, 01:09:45 AM
I've taken the plunge and bought the materials for a peroxide dip for my faded Pink 500.
It's coated, sitting, and I'll know what happened in the morning.
I'll let you know how it turned out.
D/P

Dan:

I have been following with some interest some of the things people have posted in the other forums about the process.  I have also painstakingly sanded, sanded, sanded, and polished, polished polished until I am blue in the face.  I will be very interested to know how it turns out.  I have an aqua hard plastic PVC 500 that has UV damaged receiver/transmitter caps.  I have already done the sanding and polishing routine on the rest of it.  I think it would be an interesting comparison to try the chemical version and compare the two methods.

There just has to be a better way than spending the hours and hours of sanding.

So, do take some pictures when you are finished.  Did you take any "before" shots?

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

I have never done a pink. I wouldn't go higher than 20%. I have a salmon pink that I may try. I have had great success with whites , however. Good luck and please post pics
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Yes I also look forward to your results.  I've not done this method but agree that it would sure be nice to find another method than the endless sanding routine. 

HobieSport

Dan/Panther, I have a couple of yellowed aqua WE 500s from the early 60's and an aqua Trimline, all in need of the peroxide treatment, which is new to me.  Could you post a list of the materials and methods?  It would be much appreciated.

Here's a pic of my 3-60 aqua.  As you can see it is faded compared to the color of the dial plate.  It would be great to get it closer to the original color with the peroxide if that's possible.  I'd like to avoid a lot of sanding.

I'll get a new cord for it from Old Phone Works.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

When I first saw the phone in the Ebay ad, I wasn't sure if it was Pink or Beige, So I went for it. $4.99, later it arrived.
When it arrived it was obviously Pink but quite yellowed.
Here is the before shot and after the treatment with 20% Hydrogen peroxide.
I left the coat on over night, so it worked on the color for about 7 hours.
D/P

Dan/Panther

BTW, the cord I tried a small section hidden inside the body of the phone, No difference after the treatment.
So apparently it won't work on the cords.
D/P

Steve

D/P, that phone came out great. is any yellowing left? did it come out looking like the inside?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Steve;
I would guess it's 90% of the inside color.
I'm very, very pleased with results.
I'm debating whether I should give it another treatment.

D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, is the pink phone hard or soft plastic?

Dan/Panther

HobieSport

Where can I buy hydrogen peroxide gel?  I want to try this on my aqua phones!
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, check out this thread.  All the info may be here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=745.msg11023#msg11023

Thanks for the info Dan.  We will be watching for your results with interest.  I think it was Finlover that said too much peroxide on the soft plastic can leave it covered with a white residue that is more difficult to get off than the yellowing. 

foots

I have all of the stuff to mix up the gel. Most stuff found at Sally's beauty supply - I got both 20% for my light blue wall phone, my white 500s handset,  as well as 40% to use on my white 500. I couldn't find Arrow Root stuff so I got regular corn starch insted. I just need to find time to mix this stuff up and brush it on.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

I started with 20% Hydrogen Peroxide, Arrowroot, and Arm and Hammer soda wash. I mixed according to the formula that Dan posted, to dilute the 20% down to about 15%.
I didn't see any white spots, and was very pleased with the color change. I don't think I would change anything with the formula.
The solution once it dries, can be hard to wash off, I used a fine scotchbrite type pad to rub everything down. I rinsed in soapy warm water.
I think I will try regular corn starch next batch. Arrowroot is not real exspensive  but a $4.00 bottle will make maybe 5 or 6 batches. I bought mine at a food supply outlet, not a grocery store, it's double in price at the grocery store.

D/P