News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a Voltage Tester to Troubleshoot the Ringer

Started by bigdaddylove, August 26, 2011, 02:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

I recently switched D1s connected to my 584 subset. Prior to the change, the bells worked now, they don't. How do I use my voltage tester to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks!

Wallphone

Is that the 584 that is really a 684? The bells should ring even if there isn't a phone hooked up to it. Take your voltage tester and check out L1 & L2 while it is ringing. If you have current there then move your test leads to the wires on the ringer where the two coil wires are soldered. If you still have trouble take some pics of the subset and the phone wiring.
Doug Pav

bigdaddylove

Well, I can't find the instructions to the voltage meter so that's out.

If I combine the yellow and red wires in the wall plug, the bells ring but there is a loud popping sound in the receiver as the dial moves. When the wall plug is assembled with the terminals in the correct terminal slots, the phone sounds fine when dialed but no ringing.

I'm pretty sure I wired this correctly using the old wires as a guide removing the old and replacing the new one at a time.

Here are some photos:

Wallphone

From what I remember earlier you only have one condenser and it isn't hooked up. The condenser that you do have you said was a 1uf so that is for the ringer. The one wire from the condenser looks like it is connected to the insulation of the brown wire on what I think is the C terminal. Disregarding the condenser for now hook the ringer wires up to L1 & L2 and see what happens. Then we can work on getting the condenser wired into the circuit. Find that voltmeter manual or show us a picture of the meter.
Doug Pav