News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How can I power a bulb with a magneto?

Started by Marcelo L., January 13, 2012, 01:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo L.

I had this magneto laying around from an old Kellogg box that I converted into a subset for my 202. I put some elbow grease into it and got her cleaned up nicely.

I wanted to mount the magneto on a piece of oak and wire it so that I can power a light bulb and keep it as a display piece but I'm not sure exactly how to do this.

I have a porcelain light fixture that has a black and white wire coming out of it. I wired the black (hot) wire to the top screw on the magneto. I then stuck my electrical tester in the socket of the fixture and cranked the magneto which lit up the tester. Now when I put the bulb in (40 watt) I can't get it to light no matter how fast I crank. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have the white wire (neutral) from the fixture connected to either of the two of the remaining terminals on the magneto. What am I doing wrong here?  

Please post pics if any of you have done similar. Thanks

twocvbloke

Try a lower wattage bulb, I don't think a magneto like that could produce enough juice to light up a 40watt bulb, it'd be like trying to operate car headlights off a bicycle dynamo...  :o

How many volts does it put out? Find that out and get a suitable bulb to match, I don't know what magnetos put out, so could be a 12v, 24v, 50v or maybe 120v bulb you need... :)

dsk

The output from a magneto generator is limited, you will have a voltage of nearly 80V at no load with normal cranking, the internal resistance make the voltage drop when putting on a load. 
An old ringer with a resistance of 1000 ohms makes you feel its more heavy to crank, and you will get out a power of 1/2-1 Watt! and the voltage may have dropped to 50V.
This is based on manuals and experience from several different field telephones.
Your four magnets inductor may be stronger.
Oils the gear, http://tinyurl.com/6tqj2hy (#63) and try to hook up a little lamp 110V 5 watt may give a glow (less watts, gives more like normal light). Signal lamps from an old range / freezer or equal will probably light up well.

dsk

wds

When I want to entertain my kid, I pull a 4 watt night light out of the all and light it up.  That works pretty well for me.
Dave