Main Menu

Transparent RED AE40 on Ebay - by Ray K

Started by kleenax, May 04, 2012, 11:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

jsowers

Am I the only one who's reminded of Mercurochrome when I see that phone? It's a very distinct color. Those of us of a certain age, as in older than 30, will remember that substance. It was used on cuts as an antiseptic, I think. You'd see people with red-orange dots on their hands and know it was Mercurochrome. And I may also be reminded of my childhood doctor's office, which had two chrome-trimmed AE40s.

The bottle was sometimes see-through and this is the color it was. See the picture below I found on the web...
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

Beautiful phone.

I remember the mercurochrome.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Great phone...it stung like hell....yes I remember...the Nuns loved it!!!
Kidphone

Owain

HowardPgh

Very neat phone.
I like his other phone also.
Howard

xylenol15

Lovely! I like transparent phones a lot, I assembled one that I'll post at some point. I'm too young (Any birthday phone I find wouldn't be a Western Electric!) to have encountered mercurochrome but I might've gotten some thimerosal shot up in my arm back in the day!
I did encounter iodine, but unlike Bart Simpson, I didn't scream at all, since it's actually the alcohol in iodine tincture that makes it burn, and the stuff they put one me was Betadine, which is the alcohol free povidone-iodine formulation. It's one of my favorite antiseptics, actually. Povidone-iodine and I meet up every 3 months at the blood drive unless a cut or scrape necessitates a rendezvous sooner.  :D

TelePlay

That is one good looking phone, Ray.

McHeath

Super nice phone!  Love to have one.  I recall the mercurochrome, been a long time since I thought about it.  Nowadays all the sting of treating cuts is gone with these newfangled ointments that don't hurt or leave funky blue or red marks or sting and boil like crazy.   ::)

Hope the phone brings the seller a good price.