News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Radio Shack inline ringer

Started by Pourme, February 09, 2017, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I didn't know these existed until I found one on the shelf in a local collectibles shop. It is Radio Shack cat #43-175. I looked it up while still at the shop and it can be ordered Amazon Prime for $15.95 shipped. This one was marked $10.00. I asked if it worked they didn't know. I told them I could order one new for $15.00 and offered $5.00 and bought it. I put it in line with my red 202 that has a mini network. I tucked it in a tin toy pay phone and it makes a nice concealed ringer. Not bad for $5. Not really bad for $15.00 new. The ringer is not a buzzer but a bell ring, adjustable with three loudness levels.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Vern P

Yes I have used these for years, in fact I use one of these as the ringer in my telephone work shop.  Have had good luck with them. At $15, the price is about the same it has been for  along time.

Vern

Pourme

As I said, I didn't know they existed...pretty easy way to add a ringer to any phone.
Benny

princessphone

Hi Pourme,
Early version Princess phones (701B) had no ringers as did the 2 line version of the Princesses. Bell (western electric) would supply (rent) you a nice little external ringer. All one had to do was plug it in any phone jack. They sell on E bay for less than $10. Other companies such as Comdial sold them also. These ringers are mechanical with brass gongs and fully adjustable.
John DeJonge   

I didn't know they existed either, until I found this one at a thrift store for a dollar a few months back. It was a little dirty, but for a buck how could I go wrong.

Pourme

Wonder how much longer they will make them? I would think these are low demand products. Very handy ringers.
Benny

twocvbloke

Looking at the design of the gong, they look like the ones used in the cheap Rotarepo clone phones, so even if they were to stop making them, you could just get one of these generic bells, a project box, an RJ11 socket and a 0.47uF polypropylene capacitor and there you have such a ringer... :)

markosjal

Does OP Say REN 2.38 on the label?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish