News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Dean Electric Wall Phone

Started by Atari1977, September 05, 2013, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atari1977

Hello, I recently found another phone in my grandparents place. This time it's a Dean Electric wall phone. So I just wanted to know what I have to do to wire this phone up to work on modern lines. I it has three terminals below the ringer, so I assume that's where the connections would go.

IMGP4383 by Atari1977, on Flickr

IMGP4385 by Atari1977, on Flickr

IMGP4386 by Atari1977, on Flickr

IMGP4387 by Atari1977, on Flickr

Atari1977

Woops, accidentally posted to tools forum. Can a mod move this to the phone repair one?

EDIT: Thread has been moved, thanks mod!

Atari1977

Hey, just wanted to bump this up, see if I can get any information on how to properly wire this up.

wds

Dave

Atari1977

Not that I can see, if it's supposed to have one I don't see where it would go. Here's a picture of the inside of the cover.

wds

I have a Dean that is similar to yours, and is on the list of phones to restore.  Mine looks very similar to yours on the inside and does not have a coil.  Here is a picture of another one (not mine)  similar to yours and it shows the coil mounted on top of the cap.  I have always wondered why mine didn't have a coil.  Looks like you have the original metal receiver? 
Dave

Atari1977

Looks like the receiver is original. My grandparents were more sort of more packrats than collectors, so I doubt there's been any modifications to it. Basically I just want to wire this phone up with a CAT 5 cable, but I'm not sure which wires go where or if there are any changes to the wiring I should make.

wds

Without the coil, I would think it would mainly operate as a ringer.  Maybe this phone functioned as some sort of extension phone, or it could have the coil mounted in a separate box?  I hope someone can turn up a wiring diagram for this phone.  It's really hard finding info on the Dean telephones.
Dave