News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another way to repair cracked corners

Started by Tonyrotary, May 11, 2009, 10:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

I saw this while and figured it might be of interest. I searched and didn't see this method posted yet. Seems to be a good way to repair cases with actual pieces missing if you could match the color.

http://atcaonline.com/302repair.html

Dennis Markham

Tony, when you get a minute check out this blog posting from Vintage Rotary Phones.

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=113

There is a web album showing that method of plastic repair.  We've discussed this here in the past but don't recall which posting.  It is difficult to match colors.  It works best with black and the red comes out pretty good too.

HobieSport

Thank you Tony!  "Just what the doctor ordered", as I'm about to receive an old black British Siemens Brothers phone with some small bits missing, as well as a couple of 302s with small chips and such.  I'd read about Mark's methods on Dennis's site, but just didn't know where to get the acrylics and solvents.

Now we know. 8)

http://www.esschem.com/

Tonyrotary

Oh wow Dennis that is an awsome repair job Mark did. You can't really tell it was ever broken. Just amazing what you can do with desire and patience! (And some skill I am sure!)

Hobie I now know that Mark is Dennis's friend. Just amazing work he does. I do believe the 302 I just bought might have a few nicks and I might just try this method if I deem the nicks worthwhile to bother with. Let us know how it goes with your phones.

Dan/Panther

Tony;
I'm not sure, but I think Mark was eluding to it in his description, but I've found that small dings etc, that can't be sanded or polished out, can be covered nicely on both bakelite, and Thermoplastics. In bakelite adding a drop of superglue into a ding or small scratch, the glue dries clear, and picks up the background color nicely, and it dries VERY hard. You must make certain the ding or scratch, is very clean, as any color variation will show.
On thermoplastic, I've found that  a drop on top of a scratch will actually soften the thermoplastic and allow you to smooth it out like a putty, for an almost perfect undectectable repair. Both of these methods worked equally well on hard plastic, and soft. The cyanoacrylate softens most plastics, and dries very hard.
I've also found for stubborn dings or scratches, you can remove a small amount of material from the inside of the phone case to add to the superglue to use as a filler.  The glue will soften the donor material and match perfectly the color when hard. I use a razor blade to remove material from the inside of the case and mix it into the superglue I've added to the scratch. It disolves nicely, and is easy to work with. I would inmagine if you had a donor case that is beyond repair, you could make a powder to use with Marks method for perfect color match.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Heck, phones fade and discolor over time, most people wouldn't think much of that little color difference.
- Tom