News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sticky AE dial

Started by Volvoguy, May 28, 2014, 01:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

I picked up an AE80 on the weekend, and the dial is having some issues.  If you dial a number, it sticks when you take your finger out, but rotates back to resting position after you give it a little nudge. I've tried to search around here about the best way to lubricate it, but can't find any definite answers. Most likely it is just my searching skills.  Also, can anyone tell me how to take the fingerwheel off? I got the center cap off with the small screwdriver under the edge by the number 5 trick. But do I just loosen the giant screw in the middle? Or will that free up too many parts? Trying to figure out what dial this is, but i don't exactly know what I'm looking for.

Any help is mucho appreciated!

TelePlay

This is one link to one dial cleaning and lubricating posts. There are others.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10940.msg117026#msg117026

And, yes. Remove the big screw in the center.

The whole number card ring should come off first. See the last photo at this link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg70012#msg70012

BDM

Sorry for the crude drawing, but move that tab in the direction of the arrow until it stops. It will only move about 1/8 - 1/4 inch. Then you should be able to remove that card ring. Lift it from the same side as the tab, and it should come right out. Then you can remove that center screw. The card backing is what you see covering most of the finger wheel retaining screw. You can then remove it from the card ring once the ring is removed.

On a side note, I never advise oiling dials only. I always completely disassembly clean and very lightly lube certain parts. Always keeping the governor completely clean. Anyhow I know this can be a challenge for some. It's not rocket science, but it's also easy to screw up. Some very small parts to work with. Anyhow in those cases I recommend Steve Hilz. Very hard to beat his service charge.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4384.0

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Volvoguy

Thanks for the picture BDM, I did however already figure that much out. I will try to take the big screw out tonight to give it a decent clean. I'll try spraying some electrical cleaner in around some of the pieces and see if it works, and then go deeper into it if I have to.

TelePlay

Quote from: Volvoguy on May 28, 2014, 07:37:18 PM
. . . I'll try spraying some electrical cleaner in around some of the pieces and see if it works, . . .

For reference, the electrical cleaner is the stuff sold by Radio Shack or it's equivalent from other sources. There are two type, the pure cleaner and the cleaner with lubricant.  Past posts on the forum have all recommended using the cleaner that does not have the lubricant.

A topic was started on the forum about a year and a half ago with members recommending their preferred lubricant. You can read the individual post to see what members said about the oil they recommended. You may find other recommendations in other posts as you browse the forum.

As to how much lube to use, very little.

Where to lube? There are posts on the forum showing the dial lube points for different dials. This forum post gives a link to a document on the TCI library that deals with AE dials. The post says page 19 of that document shows the lube points for an AE dial if that is the dial you have on your phone.

This link will take you directly to that TCI document. You can download it or view it on screen. It is a PDF file graciously created and posted by remco-e about 5 years ago.

HarrySmith

Or you could send it to Steve Hilsz and have it professionally cleaned, lubed and calibrated for all of $6.00.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"