"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1952 WE Not Working at all. Help

Started by tommycam, April 18, 2016, 06:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

Hello All,
I just bought a 1952 Western Electric Black Rotary phone that I cannot get to work. I have had a lot of rotary phones and they all worked.  I did a search of this forum but could not find the reason for it not working.   
I hope the photos below help. The coiled cord has a lot of damage and the wires to wall phone jack may also be the cause of the problem.
Any help is appreciated. The photos are attached.

poplar1

Move the black ringer wire from G (where the yellow line cord wire is) to L1 (with the Green line cord wire).
If the phone rings now, then you know the red and green line cord conductors are good.
If the phone does not ring, the cord could be bad.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The handset cord appears to have major issues.
However, if the line cord is good, you should still be able to "trip ring" -- that is, while the phone is ringing on an incoming call, if you lift the receiver, the ringing should stop, and the caller should hear a click as if you answered the phone.

tommycam

Thank you for the response. I'll try changing the internal wire.
Let me ask you this, is hard to change the coiled cord to the headset? I trying to find a tutorial on to change it.
Thank you again,
Tom

poplar1

It's not difficult to change the handset cord. Only tricky part is getting the two white wires through the handle if the new cord doesn't have a plastic sleeve around those wires. Might have to use a stiff wire inserted  from the receiver end to go through the handle,  then grab the two white wires and pull them through the handle, if they won't push through on their own.

By the way, there are two white wires, because it doesn't make any difference which white wire goes on R terminal and which one on GN.

tommycam

Unfortunately moving the black wire did not help.  I think it might be the cord going to the wall jack. I used my cell phone to call my land number and my other phone (rotary of course) rang. Could it be one or both cords that are causing the problem and nothing to do with the wiring?

LarryInMichigan

I would not expect a handset cord in that condition to be reliable.  Finding a replacement black handset cord is not very difficult.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Both cords look to be absolutely shot.  I would replace them both.  Just chiming in to agree with what has already been said.  When you get the new cords on, leave the black ringer wire connected to L1 as poplar1 has already mentioned.

-Bill G

poplar1

All wires appear to be on the correct terminals. So, yes, you probably have 2 bad cords.

andre_janew

Before removing the handset cord from the handset, tie a string around the two white wires.  When you pull the cord out, the string will follow.  Then you can remove the string from the old cord and tie it to the two white wires of the replacement cord and pull it through the handset with the string.

tommycam

Thank you all for the great advice.

I'm going to start looking for replacement cords. It should be a fun project.

I was hesitant to buy the phone with such a cord but when I checked, all the dates matched, so I had to get it.

I'll need some time to work on it but hopefully I'll be posting a video soon of it ringing.

Thank you again,
Tom

andre_janew

You could get a replacement wall cord with spade terminals on one end and a modular plug on the other. 

tommycam

Andre,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did order a new cord already and should be receiving it soon.

That is a great tip for my future projects. The supply of cords are eventually going to drop so anyway to restore a rotary phone with available items is extremely helpful.

Tom

andre_janew

Have you made any progress on getting it working?

tommycam

Andre,

Yes, thank you for asking.

Replacing the two cords was the way to go. I ordered them separately and got the dial tone immediately and was able to send calls. I had to move one wire and the ringer worked. For the first time I changed the wiring in the handset.

There are two things I have to do, the transmitter has been temperamental. If the transmitter makes contact with the inside piece the person on the other end can hear me. I think I have it now, but I have to test it a few more times.

Second, I want to polish the other shell. Any suggestions on what to use? I want to add some shine to it.

Thank you again,
Tom