"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 no receiver sound

Started by cloyd, May 14, 2016, 07:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hello all!

Hurray!  I got the  receiver's caps, rings and elements to part company with one another without breaking anything!  The phone works with the subset (WE 684-BA) except that I can't hear anything.  Nothing at all.  The receiver element looks a little beat up, the diaphragm is wobbly, all of the old wires that I can see look good.

Please take a look at the pictures to see if I have made a wiring mistake.  How can I tell if I have a bad receiver element or a broken connection in the handset?

The receiver spacer ring threads onto the receiver element but very roughly.  It takes careful coaxing and attention to thread it all the way on.  It looks like it's threads may have been crossed at one time.  Is there a way to smooth those out?

Thank you for your input,

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

More pictures.
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

This is my phone.

Doug Rose

Tina....have you proved the E1 is good? Bring dial tone directly to the handset outside of the phone and subset. That is step 1...good luck...Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

Doug,
I haven't done that before and I can't picture how I would do it.  Can you describe what to do?
Thank you,
Tina

Doug Rose

Tina....look at this picture, red from line cord to black of E1 handset cord. Green of line cord to white from handset of E1, You should hear dial tone and be able to transmit. If you cannot transmit bridge the red from the handset cord to either red or green from the line cord...good luck....Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

Thank you Doug!  I had no idea that that could be done!

I have one more bit of confusion though.  I understand that I would hear dial tone but how would I know if the transmitter was working?

Tina

Doug Rose

Tina...Blow into the mouthpiece and you will hear it....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 15, 2016, 02:44:57 PM
Tina....look at this picture, red from line cord to black of E1 handset cord. Green of line cord to white from handset of E1, You should hear dial tone and be able to transmit. If you cannot transmit bridge the red from the handset cord to either red or green from the line cord.

Doug,

You do this with your 616, right?

Wouldn't using a POTS line leave the opening for ring voltage to enter the handset, should a call come in when doing this test, right? Or not?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 15, 2016, 05:46:09 PM
Tina...Blow into the mouthpiece and you will hear it....Doug
AKA "sidetone"
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I do it on my 616. I was just showing the wire wrapped. I would tape them together and then plug in the modular cord.

It take no more than 5 seconds.

As Jim states you hear the side tone...Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

I spent my Sunday swapping out parts and repairing cords so that I could test the handset.  I discovered that the problem was the receiver element on one E1 and the transmitter element on the other E1.  Now I have one working E1 handset and I'll be looking for the parts to upgrade the other E1.

I will keep the test that you mentioned in mind the next time I am stumped.  Five minutes is better than a whole afternoon!

Thank you all,

Tina

Phonesrfun

John:

Since the handset, whether connected to a 616 or a landline would present an "off-hook" condition, there would be no ringing voltage applied to a line that is off hook. When on-hook, ringing voltage can be present, but since the circuit is completely open it won't hurt anything unless a person happens to be touching wires.

Tina:  The reason you would hear the sidetone is because in this test, the receiver and transmitter elements are connected in series.  Effectively, the test verifies that both are working.  If nothing is heard, you still need to determine which element is defective.  For example, since the receiver is in series with the transmitter, a totally defective transmitter will also result in nothing heard in the receiver.

UPDATE:  It looks like you have isolated the problem.  Congratulations!
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Babybearjs

I was just looking at a post about testing a E1 handset for a 202. and one of you posted a picture of testing the handset the hard way, wiring it up to a phone line.... I myself always use a "Toner" (mines a Tempo 77HP/6A) also known as a tracer.... everyone should have one in they're tool box.  this little baby comes in soooo handy when working on phones. it has a Intermitten tone that is used for tracing phone lines but can also be used to check phone sets.  It also is a continuity checker and that come in really handy when checking phone cords, etc. Once I get my phone that I'm working on all finished, I just take this handy-dandy tool and run a tone check across the T/R lines on my phone. Now, the downside to this little gadget.....Remembering to TURN IT OFF! 9 volt batteries may not be expensive, but its a pain when you go to use the tool and it won't work!  I strongly encourage all collectors to have this tool! it really does save time!
John