News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric Galion Ringer Swap

Started by Ed Morris, May 30, 2017, 04:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I recently found a nice clean North Electric "Galion" Model H270 XA2 from 1953.  The phone received calls and dialed out fine, but no ringer.  I found that the ringer was a 54Hz frequency ringer (Photo 1).  Since I had a B1A ringer from a Western Electric Model 302 parts baseplate, I decided to install it in the Galion.

The 302 ringer mount is riveted to the 302 baseplate, so I had to drill out the rivets.  In all the fun, I forgot to take a photo of the 302 ringer mount, but if you aren't familiar with it, there's a couple photos of a 302 ringer mount in Teleplay's thread at the link below:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6853.0

I had to drill one hole in the baseplate of the Galion to install the 302 ringer mount (Photo 2).  One nut and machine screw will hold the mount securely as the rubber grommets keep the mount from vibrating or shifting.  You can see the nut and screw between the two coils in Photo 3. 

The ringer is installed in the mount by first sliding the ringer under the clip at the rear (next to the network), then while pushing against clip toward the network, snap the ringer down into the mount.  I had to tap the ringer a little to get it to clear the set screw (the screw under the clapper at the front).  Photo 4 shows the screw holding the mount in the bottom of the baseplate.  One of the fasteners securing the network was missing, so I had to install a small nut and machine screw.  You can see the screw head also in Photo 4.

Photo 5 shows the finished phone.

Ed

Ed Morris

One problem I forgot to mention above, is that with the housing off, everything tested fine, but whenever I put the housing back on the baseplate, I got no dial tone.

I decided that the handset must be shorting out somehow.  I found that the spade lugs on the leads going to the dial are bent at 90 degree angles, so the leads point straight down from the dial.  I figured that one or more of them must be shorting against one of the bells.  I bent all three out from 90 degrees to about 120 degrees, and that solved the problem.

Ed

HarrySmith

Congratulations. I had that same problem with a 302 once. hard to track down. Good work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on May 30, 2017, 04:54:32 PM
I recently found a nice clean North Electric "Galion" Model H270 XA2 from 1953.  The phone received calls and dialed out fine, but no ringer.  I found that the ringer was a 54Hz frequency ringer (Photo 1).  Since I had a B1A ringer from a Western Electric Model 302 parts baseplate, I decided to install it in the Galion.

The 302 ringer mount is riveted to the 302 baseplate, so I had to drill out the rivets.  In all the fun, I forgot to take a photo of the 302 ringer mount, but if you aren't familiar with it, there's a couple photos of a 302 ringer mount in Teleplay's thread at the link below:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6853.0

I had to drill one hole in the baseplate of the Galion to install the 302 ringer mount (Photo 2).  One nut and machine screw will hold the mount securely as the rubber grommets keep the mount from vibrating or shifting.  You can see the nut and screw between the two coils in Photo 3. 

The ringer is installed in the mount by first sliding the ringer under the clip at the rear (next to the network), then while pushing against clip toward the network, snap the ringer down into the mount.  I had to tap the ringer a little to get it to clear the set screw (the screw under the clapper at the front).  Photo 4 shows the screw holding the mount in the bottom of the baseplate.  One of the fasteners securing the network was missing, so I had to install a small nut and machine screw.  You can see the screw head also in Photo 4.

Photo 5 shows the finished phone.
I forget what the original Galion ringer mounting looks like and how the frequency ringer installs in it.  Do you have any photos? 

I hadn't considered retrofitting a Galion with a B1 ringer to get around the need for a replacement for a frequency ringer but considering the extent to which they use other 302 parts, why not?  But I wonder whether it's possible to modify a B1 ringer to install in the existing North ringer mounting. 

There were two kinds of B1 ringers and mountings.  One (which you described) slips around the back of the magnet and has a horizontal screw at the front, between the gongs.  The other has two vertical screws behind the gongs and a little triangular tip bent over on the front of the mounting which slips over the front edge of the ringer frame.  Perhaps some versions of these mountings were used in 354 series or 440/460 sets but I think both were used in 302s at various times.   

A related issue is the ringer mounting installed in a 251 set, which is a version of 302 listed in WECo-Graybar catalogs for sale to non-Bell companies to install their own frequency ringers.  These are coded as something other than an H handset mounting IIRC, AD-1 maybe.  I've never seen one and I'm curious what the ringer mounting looks like in these sets.  The 252 wall version (a 352/354 without ringer for customer installed freq. ringer) probably has the same ringer mounting. 

Ed Morris

On mine, there really isn't a separate ringer mount.  The ringer sits on the baseplate, held through the bottom by two screws.  In the photo below, I screwed the two screws into the ringer frame for safe keeping.  The photo shows the bottom of the ringer.

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on May 30, 2017, 09:51:42 PM
On mine, there really isn't a separate ringer mount.  The ring sits on the baseplate, held through the bottom by two screws.  In the photo below, I screwed the two screws into the ringer frame for safe keeping.  The photo shows the bottom of the ringer.
Ah, right!  I'd forgotten!  The gongs are there mounted to the base plate separately from the motor assembly.  So you had to remove the original gongs.  Thanks.

mentalstampede

I have installed a B1A in a Galion that came to me without a ringer before. Oldphoneworks actually sells a very simple mounting adaptor plate to do this without permenant changes to either the ringer or the telephone base.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/ringer-plate-for-galion-telephones.html
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: mentalstampede on May 31, 2017, 02:43:14 AM
I have installed a B12 in a Galion that came to me without a ringer before. Oldphoneworks actually sells a very simple mounting adaptor plate to do this without permenant changes to either the ringer or the telephone base.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/ringer-plate-for-galion-telephones.html
Interesting!  Thanks.  Looks like it's time to browse their site.