News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White WE 554 10-58 won't ring.

Started by AET, December 05, 2009, 04:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idanewco

There is a number stamped on the bottom of the phone right under the 500DM.  It is 77250 so I guess this phone is from 1977.  Thanks!
Still can't get it to ring, though.  I've tried the red wire at two different terminals that are unmarked and could be K while leaving the slate and slate/red wires unconnected.  No luck.  The unmarked terminals are in the corner of the block nearest the bells and the center of the phone.

I've read that it might be that there's just not enough voltage on the line to get older phones to ring so maybe that's the problem.  I was optimistic when I found the wires that weren't connected but
maybe that's only part of the problem.

I did find one wiring pattern that caused a quick ding in the bells when I plugged the line cord in (still no actual ringing, though).  It was:
Red to L2
Slate to the corner position that I think is K
Slate/Red to A
Black to L1

That causes a busy signal.

Thanks for your help!

Phonesrfun

You should not have a dial wire going to A as was mentioned in an earlier post.  

Refer to Dennis's post earlier on dial connections:

Blue to F
Green (or the other blue on some dials) to RR
White to R
White to GN

The ringer arrangement you last posted is correct:

Red to L2
Slate to K
Slate/Red to A
Black to L1

-Bill G

idanewco

About the dial wiring, I don't see anything marked F.  One of the blue dial wires is on RR.  The other wire on A is white and appears to come from the switch.  Like I said, the dial seems to work okay but maybe that's causing other problems.

Ok, so if I have the ringer arrangement correct and it produces a busy signal... maybe that's why the ringer wires were disconnected when I got the phone.  (It was a gift and I understand it was purchased on eBay.)
And do you know which terminal is K?  I'm guessing one of the two that are in the corner closest to the bells and the center of the phone since I can't find any markings for those.

Would you expect an external ringer to work for this phone?  I'd like to have the bells ring but if I can't get that to work, I've seen electronic ringers for about $15.

Thanks so much for all your help here!

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 09, 2010, 05:11:04 PM
You should not have a dial wire going to A as was mentioned in an earlier post.  

Refer to Dennis's post earlier on dial connections:

Blue to F
Green (or the other blue on some dials) to RR
White to R
White to GN

The ringer arrangement you last posted is correct:

Red to L2
Slate to K
Slate/Red to A
Black to L1

Phonesrfun

OK, please refer to the attached photo where I have marked the terminals.

F, A, and K are at the top of the photo.  Your photo shows the dial properly hooked up to F.  The ringer slate and slate/red need to be hooked to K and A respectively.

Take a look at how the connections to L1 may be touching the terminals hooked to R.  This could definitely cause the problems you are describing.  So, check to see that the green and black connected to L1 are not touching the metal part of R or the wires hooked to R.

-Bill G

bwanna

must have missed this thread when it first came out....anyhoooo, tom i have some of those cheesy handset covers. PM ,me if interested.
donna

idanewco

Oh happy day!  My phone just rang when I called it.  (And I just about jumped out of my socks -- those things are even louder than I remember!) :-)
The terminal that I thought was A was actually F so I had it all wrong.  That picture with the terminals marked straightened me out.
Dennis, McHeath, and phonesrfun, I can't thank you enough!  I'm so glad that I didn't just give up on this and get a cheesy electronic ringer.  This is much more fun.  This avocado green phone will make a great addition to my "vintage" room in the basement.
And I had fun messing around with it too.  I can see how cool old phones could be an addictive hobby.

Thanks again for this great and friendly forum!

-Ida

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 09, 2010, 07:06:37 PM
OK, please refer to the attached photo where I have marked the terminals.

F, A, and K are at the top of the photo.  Your photo shows the dial properly hooked up to F.  The ringer slate and slate/red need to be hooked to K and A respectively.

Take a look at how the connections to L1 may be touching the terminals hooked to R.  This could definitely cause the problems you are describing.  So, check to see that the green and black connected to L1 are not touching the metal part of R or the wires hooked to R.

Phonesrfun

Woo Hoo!  Ida, we are only glad to help out.  I thought you'd like it better than an electronic ringer.

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

Good job!  Glad you stuck with it, the ease with which anyone can work on these phones is one of the charms about them.

Personally, I think the C series ringer that your 500 has is the best sounding of all the old time phone ringers.  (ducks shoe) ;)

Dan

Nice job again Bill. I remember your help with my "mutt" candlestick.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

-Bill G