News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

7C Dial - How to Remove Fingerwheel / Number Card Retainer

Started by bwanna, December 25, 2009, 01:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

yes, the internet & this forum are truly amazing. a while back i posted a request for a '59 500 to give as christmas present to my brother. dan came thru with very nice moss green set.  bro's nickname is "big daddy", so dan even made a custom dial card w/the nickname. but then i decided i would rather have an original looking dial card. so here i am today trying to remove that darn dial when i am supposed to be making deviled eggs & time to leave is fast approaching :o.

thanks to d/p for good instructions(& my son for peeling the eggs) the day was a success :)

brother loves the phone. one of the little guys says "hey, look! one of those wind-up phones! can i try to work it?"

here are a couple of pics. i hate the looks of the flat modular cords. so i took a matching green cord & ran it thru the modular hole & put a modular plug on the end. not authentic. but in my opinion looks better than the clear cord.

that is camera flash, not scratches on the back.
donna

AET

- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: bwanna
...so here i am today trying to remove that darn dial when i am supposed to be making deviled eggs...

Priceless.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Where did you find that small modular plug end, the ones I buy are rather bulky ?
By coincidence also being used on a Moss Green 500.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 26, 2009, 01:41:29 PM
Where did you find that small modular plug end, the ones I buy are rather bulky ?
D/P

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.  I've been using the even bulkier "biscuits".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

these are old issue from the phone company, i snag them up whenever i can. they aren't really designed for this use, so it's kind of a pain to thread the thin conductor thru those holes, then smash the cord into the housing.

where there is a will, there's a way ;)
donna

Jim Stettler

The best way to make a HW cord mod is to use a surface mount modular jack. Connect the telephone line cord to the jack and use a mod cord to connect betweent the "adapter" and the wall.
With this method you don't damage the original cord, and you can hide the adapter behind the table.
JMO
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on December 26, 2009, 09:14:14 PM
The best way to make a HW cord mod is to use a surface mount modular jack. Connect the telephone line cord to the jack and use a mod cord to connect betweent the "adapter" and the wall.
With this method you don't damage the original cord, and you can hide the adapter behind the table.
JMO
Jim S.

I call them "biscuits", but that's what I've been using.  Even trying to find those for cheap isn't easy.  I found a quantity of them on ebay and have been using those.  Radio Shack wants $5 each for them!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I still but the modular jacks at the local dollar store.  They have a flat back and a snap-on cover.