News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Problems!

Started by Sargeguy, November 09, 2008, 11:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

No.  I do get a dial tone if I stick a screwdriver between the Y terminal and the unused screw that is between it and the R terminal. That's why I think I messed up the dial.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

Bingster -

Do you use Irfanview to "improve" the photos like that? They are really great!

Bill

bingster

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 13, 2008, 06:39:29 PM
No.  I do get a dial tone if I stick a screwdriver between the Y terminal and the unused screw that is between it and the R terminal. That's why I think I messed up the dial.

You didn't happen to disassemble that stack of switches, did you?  Or perhaps bend the springs in any way?

Quote from: Bill on November 14, 2008, 05:03:40 PMDo you use Irfanview to "improve" the photos like that? They are really great!

I used to use Irfanview when I had a PC, and I liked it a lot (Irfanview, not the PC).  Now that I have a Mac, I use Photoshop for all that. 
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I wiped them off with a paper towel wrapped around a Popsicle stick, so I may have bent one.  The plastic cover was covered in film from the submersion, so when I took it off I tried to wipe down every reachable surface, including the switches.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Nothing wrong with trying to clean a grungy phone, that's for sure.  But let's be certain that nothing's bent, and that the switches are opening and closing properly.  The springs are arranged in three pairs.  I've attached two photos (and remember that you can click on each to get an enlargement), and they show how the pairs of springs should appear when the dial is at rest, and when the dial is turned.

The first photo shows that when the dial is at rest, the first pair of springs is closed, the second pair is open, and the third pair is closed.

The second photo shows that when the dial has been turned (turn the dial a bit, hold it there, and then examine the springs), the first pair is open, the second pair is closed, and the third pair is closed, too.

When you release the dial and let it return to it's at-rest position, you should see the third pair of springs pulsing open and closed.

Also, take a close look at the springs to see that the tiny contacts at the ends of the springs actually do make contact with each other.  If they don't, then the springs are misaligned.  They're easily brought back in line, though.  To do so, loosen the two screws that hold the switch stack together (circled in blue below).  This will allow you to move the individual springs up and down until the contacts are aligned with each other.  When they're all aligned, retighten the two screws.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I now have tone!!!  As it stands now:

• When I dial out I break tone but I cannot dial a number.  I need to rotate the dial backwards a bit to get tone back.

• The spring keeps popping out whenever I remove the fingerwheel

• The phone does not ring.

Thanks!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Sargeguy,

Looking at Bingster's last photo....(I'm assuming the photo here is of Bingster's dial).  Look at the little plastic lobe...the oblong lobe that presses against the dial contacts.  When it is at rest, it must push the contact at the bottom, or in this case the far right side against the other contacts.  If the lobe is misaligned it can cause you to get a dial tone during pulsing.  It's just a shot in the dark.  It MAY cause the phone to not ring as well.  Just verify that the lobe is doing its job while at rest.  If not, just get a small screw driver, carefully pry it up, reposition it and move it back down.  Be careful of the two copper colored washers that are there.

Dennis

Sargeguy

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It solved part of the problem.  I was only getting a dial tone when the foot caught on the longest switch, and I got nothing when it was seating properly.  Now that part is working. 

• I get dial tone when I pick up the handset
  • I break tone when I dial
  • I cannot dial a number, I get the "please hang up and try your number again..." message
  • Pushing the handset switch returns the dial tone
  • The phone does not ring for incoming calls

Thanks!  This thread has been a huge help!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

Maybe the spring preload is not enough on the dial, and that is why it won't dial a number, it may be too slow, turn your dial from the "0" all the way around to the finger stop, let it go, it should take about 1 second to make the return.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Some guys get Franken-phones, I get Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-Phones.  My second 302 is also a dunker: >:(

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

It's a dirty one for sure.  But it ought to clean up nicely.  Is that a #5H dial?

Dan/Panther

Looking past the dirt, it appears remarkably well preserved.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Is this 302 from New Orleans perhaps? ;)

bingster

One thing that stands out to me is the correct routing of the mounting cord behind it's guide pin and around the screw hole.  You almost never see that routing retained.  It's also got one of the extra-chunky handset cords, which are really nice.

Don't let the dirt put you off--I see this one turning out well.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I think the German name for your phones is "Das Svimminfon".  Maybe the 302s liked water.  Bet it works when you get it all cleaned up, I swear these old phones can't be killed.