News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First 302 repair - Lots of questions

Started by winkydink, November 13, 2008, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

bingster, Oldphoneworks/H.O.T. sells the proper spade lugs. I bought a batch to make my own cords.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Thanks, BDM!  I had always planned on buying spades from Odis' HoT, but I figured I had missed the boat when OPW took over.
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on November 17, 2008, 06:46:03 PM
It looks like it will clean up nicely, however, I cannot get the cover off the base.  ....  Any ideas on how to safely remove it without breaking the case?

Should I use the hair dryer method to heat the case and expand it ?

I will try this later today, unless I hear otherwise.

bingster

The only thing I can think of is using a wide-bladed screwdriver to pry the case from the base.  Since the feet extend past the base, and the case corners actually rest on the edges of the feet, you might be able to carefully pry at those corners.  I wouldn't do that at the front, though--it may cause slight nicks in the plastic which wouldn't be seen at the back.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I'm assuming that is a plastic  housing?  If so, that's another example of the plastic shrinking over the years and fitting tight against the bottom of the phone.  I have had one or two like that.  You just have to carefully work with it.  That housing may be a candidate for eventually grinding out some plastic on the inside corners to make more room.  The Dremmel tool with the grinding bit works great...and quick. 

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 18, 2008, 05:05:19 PM
I'm assuming that is a plastic  housing?  If so, that's another example of the plastic shrinking over the years and fitting tight against the bottom of the phone.  I have had one or two like that.  You just have to carefully work with it.  That housing may be a candidate for eventually grinding out some plastic on the inside corners to make more room.  The Dremmel tool with the grinding bit works great...and quick. 

I was just thinking about the plastic shrinking comment that you had earlier in this thread.

The hair dryer trick worked without having to pry with a screwdriver.   It does not look like I will be able to get the cover back on unless I grind some material from the corners.  I will put a dremmel on my Christmas list.

The phone inside looks complete.  Inside the housing the dates of the parts are within a month or two of each other (8/47).  The reciever may not even be a Western Electric as there is nothing written on the underneath side (no Western Electric, No F1, No writing at all, just a flat spot).  The parts inside the reciever are dated 1954 or 55.

I was able to unstick the plunger when I opened the cover up, and it moved freely when the cover was open.  When I tried to close the cover, the plunger once again became stuck.  I will need to try to figure out what it is hanging up on.

Overall with the two 302 that I have, I should be able to make one reconditioned phone.  I should be able to use the WE reciever from the first phone on this one as the dates for that one are also around 1947 as well and that hand set is in better shape.   The plastic housing on the second phone has no cracks and looks like it should clean up well.

I am curious to see if this will work.  I will try to connect the wires to my service and see if I get a dial tone, etc.

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on November 18, 2008, 07:18:17 PM
I was able to unstick the plunger when I opened the cover up, and it moved freely when the cover was open.  When I tried to close the cover, the plunger once again became stuck.  I will need to try to figure out what it is hanging up on.

The plunger mechanism is getting hung up on a bundle of tied wires going from the base to the dialer part of the phone located on the housing.  The run seems a little short.  I will document where all the wires are connected and after reassembly, I will try to move this bundle "out of the way"

Quote from: winkydink on November 18, 2008, 07:18:17 PM
I am curious to see if this will work.  I will try to connect the wires to my service and see if I get a dial tone, etc.

No luck with this, but the phone may have been mucked with.  So eventually it will be rewired and I will see if it can be brought back to life.

bingster

If the wires are causing the plungers to hang up, then it's definitely been mucked with.  These had all their wiring carefully routed in such a way that the wires couldn't interfere with any moving parts.  No worries though... In the words of Dennis' correspondent, "They all work... They're just wired wrong." 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device, and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them....  :-\ ;D ::)

How is that for contradiction of terms ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

QuoteThe phone is a remarkably complex, simple device, and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them...

That's hilarious!  It should be the motto on the AT and T trucks and carved onto the back of every phone made. 

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on November 19, 2008, 06:00:03 AM

The plunger mechanism is getting hung up on a bundle of tied wires going from the base to the dialer part of the phone located on the housing.  The run seems a little short.  I will document where all the wires are connected and after reassembly, I will try to move this bundle "out of the way"

Well as it turns out it was not wires that were hanging up the plunger mechanism it was dirt and gunk built up over the years.  It seems that the left plastic plunger (as you face the phone) was very dirty along with the tunnel the plunger fit it.  I cleaned both and now the plunger mechanism moves freely and no longer gets stuck.

I looked over the wiring (see URL below) and noticed that my phone has the red and green wires from the mounting (wall ) cord reversed.  I touched red and green to the wall wires (i.e. so that the connection was reverse of what the wiring diagram said it should be.  I got a dial tone.  I directly touched red to red post green to green post as in the wiring diagram and I also got a dial tone.

One thing that I could not do was dial out.  When I tried to dial, all I got was the dial tone.  I have not checked all the wiring to see if it is correct.

Should I rewire according to the diagram below.  My phone is dated 2/47 .  Is this the correct diagram?

Thanks.

bingster

Yep, that's the right diagram.  Make sure to connect the red wire and green wire of the mounting cord to L1 and L2Y as indicated on the wiring diagram though, rather than the R and GN terminals.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I trtied to moderate the post with the long photo URL, but It won't allow me to scroll to get to the moderate icon.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Try it in Firefox.  Or, Winkydink can you remove the URL from your post, please?  Here's the diagram for future reference in shortened form.

http://www.42mirrors.com/images/wiring%20diagram.bmp
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on November 20, 2008, 06:57:40 PM
Try it in Firefox.  Or, Winkydink can you remove the URL from your post, please?  Here's the diagram for future reference in shortened form.

http://www.42mirrors.com/images/wiring%20diagram.bmp

It's removed.  Sorry about that?

I will post some pictures tomorrow, howevery, any thoughts about not being able to dial out ?