News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First 302 repair - Lots of questions

Started by winkydink, November 13, 2008, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

I agree-I've never seen a spring like that before.

Normally, the springiness of the copper contacts in plenty to pop the plungers back up and reset the switch to how it should be.

winkydink

Well the "spring" definitely does not look home made.  I will look at my other 302 and see if it has this same type of "spring"

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on January 18, 2009, 07:07:21 PM
Well the "spring" definitely does not look home made.  I will look at my other 302 and see if it has this same type of "spring"

I looked at my other 302 and that one (also a 1947) does not have this spring clip.  I will play around with this and see if I can figure out a way to re-attach.

Does this mean my phone is special !  ;D

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

winkydink

A Clue, A Clue

Look at the following 2 pictures.  This is one of my before pictures.  This picture clearly shows the straight part in the center of the switch hook.  However, it does not show where the hook or "Little Bo Peep" part goes.

Sargeguy

I'm no expert, I don't think the green twist tie is standard WECO issue either. ??? Also, it looks like the handset cord had more wires that have been cut, or is that just insulation?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

winkydink

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 18, 2009, 07:57:57 PM
I'm no expert, I don't think the green twist tie is standard WECO issue either. ???

The twist tie was mine, so I could keep the bundle together as I removed it from the shell.

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on January 18, 2009, 07:39:25 PM
A Clue, A Clue

Look at the following 2 pictures.  This is one of my before pictures.  This picture clearly shows the straight part in the center of the switch hook.  However, it does not show where the hook or "Little Bo Peep" part goes.

I finally figured out how to reattach after I closely examine the photo above.

Below is how the clip/spring attaches

Sargeguy

I am still lening towards the bent paperclip theory.  If the plungers were dirty they may not have moved easily and this could have solved the problem. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

That's a new one on me, too.  On mine, all the spring action comess from the pressure of the switch hook leaves against the bar that raises the plungers.  Does it appear that the spring causes extra pressure on the mechanism?

Also (just being nit-picky), the handset cord's "S" restraint doesn't go on the hook that's mounted to the shell.  The mounting cord goes there, but the handset cord goes under the hook mounted to the base, back by the condenser.
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 18, 2009, 09:19:01 PM
That's a new one on me, too.  On mine, all the spring action comess from the pressure of the switch hook leaves against the bar that raises the plungers.

I also have pressure from the spring action of the copper contacts.  This clip just seems to give a little tighter tension.

The clip looks machined not home made.  There are some parts in this phone that date as late as 1958.  Is it possible that WE changed the design of replacement parts for the switch hook that used this clip?

benhutcherson

Quote from: bingster on January 18, 2009, 09:25:05 PM

Also (just being nit-picky), the handset cord's "S" restraint doesn't go on the hook that's mounted to the shell.  The mounting cord goes there, but the handset cord goes under the hook mounted to the base, back by the condenser.

I'm not sure that that's 100% true. I've seen seemingly untouched telephones that have come both ways. My most recent  had both the mounting cord and the handset cord hooked on the upper restraint.

Some 5302s are equipped with an additional metal tab that facilitates using the restraints on a 500-style handset cord. In all installations of this that I've seen, the tab has been mounted in the shell also.

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 18, 2009, 09:25:05 PM
That's a new one on me, too.  On mine, all the spring action comess from the pressure of the switch hook leaves against the bar that raises the plungers.  Does it appear that the spring causes extra pressure on the mechanism?

I am replacing the handset cord and phone to wall (mounting?) cord.  If anyone has some clear pictures as to the way wires should be routed or "S" restraints should be attached I would be interested.  I will also look at some of Dennis' pictures on his web site.

bingster

Could be, Ben.  The only clear cording diagram I've ever found shows both hooks used, but that doesn't mean that was always followed, or indeed that it was always in effect.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

A lot of fingers touch these phones since the day they were born.  Thus the reason for half of the wiring issues.