News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modified WECo 684C subset mis-wired?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, July 24, 2010, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

Picked up a 684C on eBay.  Only realized it was "bell-less" when I got it -- my fault for not knowing enuf about 'em before buying it, no swipe @ the seller.

SO, I got a ringer from OldFoneWrx, and wired it in myself.  Its NOT ringing.  I can still dial out with my D1 model, and still take calls as long as I "know" one is coming "in."  What'd I do wrong?

Overview:

Here's the coil(?).  Busy!  The red wire from the bells is hooked to the "R" terminal, along with the cloth-coated wire from the D1.:

Here's the "BK" terminal on the base (back) of the subset.  Its got four (4) wires coming in; from the "wall," the D1, the original 2.2Mf capacitor, and the bells:

Help??   ???

;D

bingster

I'll dig out my diagrams to check the rest of the connections, but for now try moving the red ringer wire from "R" to "L2Y."  It makes sense to match the color designations, but that's rarely correct with old phones.
= DARRIN =

rdelius

There should be a ringing capacitor between "L2Y" on the ind coil and "K" on the terminal board.The ringer should go between "L1" and "K". This would be .5uf or possibly up to 1uf.I do not know if you are missing the 2nd capacitor. There is a capacitor in the talk circuit between "c" on the ind coil and "bk" on the terminal board.This capacitor would be 2 to 4 or so uf. Look for a diagram for a 302 and it is the same circuit
Robby

Phonesrfun

Your subset was missing both the ringer and the ringing capacitor.  You have solved part of the problem by getting a ringer, but you still need the ringer capacitor.  You have also hooked the ringer up wrong to the induction coil.

Here is what you want to do:

Line cord
Red hook to "L1" on the Induction coil like you have done
Green Hook to "L2/Y" on the induction coil like you have done.

I would cut the line cord yellow and black, rather than making up a place to hook them in the subset.  They are not normally used, but if you have a second line in your wall jack at home, that second line would be hooked to the yellow and black, and hooking them up in the subset would cause you problems should you have a second line.  You can either cut them off or tape them (not together, but separately)  Just because they are in the cord does not mean they are used.  Many people want to hook these to something just because they are there.  If you don't have a second line, or don't ever plan on getting one, you can leave yellow and black where they are.

Ringer:

Hook the red wire to L1 (Not R as you have done) on the induction coil
Hook the black wire to the GND terminal (Not the BK terminal where you currently have it).  GND is normally not used for this purpose, but you have a 684C which does not have a K terminal, as the 684A would.

Talking circuit capacitor (The long silver thing under the ringer)  Its red wire needs to go to "C" on the network, and its black wire needs to go to "BK" on the terminal board.  This part, I believe you have right.

Ringing Capacitor.  You need to get one of these.  Go to Radio Shack and get a 1.0 mF 250V metal film capacitor, part number 272-1055, $1.59 for this.  This obviously is not the original part, but it will do just fine.  Originally, the 684A had a double capacitor in one can located under the ringer.  Yours apparently has a single capacitor in that can, so you will need one from Radio Shack.  The ringer capacitor needs to connect between "L2/Y" on the induction coil and GND where we hooked the black ringer wire.  If the leads on the capacitor are not long enough you will need to add a little bit of wire to one side or the other.  Since the capacitor leads are not insulated, make sure that other than the points they connect to, that they don't touch anything else along the way.  If they do, you may get humming on the line and/or a shorted line.

The D1 mount:

Red goes to "R" on the inductor
Green goes to "G" on the inductor
Yellow goes to "L2/Y" on the inductor
Black goes to BK where the black from the talking capacitor is connected.

Happy wiring
-Bill G

Come in Nighthawk

:)
Thanks Bill! Clear, easily digested instructions.  Easily followed.  Excellent result.  We have BELLS!!!

;D

Phonesrfun

YAY!!!!

It's always nice when things work.
-Bill G