News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric volume/connection problem?

Started by mrshanno, December 12, 2010, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrshanno

Hey guys...so I got my Automatic Electric model 44 telephone hooked up and it has been working fine on Time Warner's digital phone service. I picked it up yesterday, and the dial tone was very low (barely could hear). I tapped on the phone box a few times, and the volume would go up and down with some "snap" type sounds. It finally got back to normal volume, but it still doesn't work consistenly. I can tap any part of the box, including the dial, and I can hear kind of a microphonic snap sound through the handset. There is a pop sound after dialing each number as well...

I figure something is not making a good connection? It sounds like something in the box as opposed to the handset. Idon't know where to start looking. There is a schematic in the box I think.  Any ideas on where to start?

I guess I can always send it in for repair otherwise.

Here are some pictures of the phone...

Phonesrfun

It sounds like either the hookswitch contacts or the dial contacts.  Try doing the tapping with the set open and try each set of contacts individually.

-Bill G

mrshanno

thanks...I opened up the box and narrowed it down to the contacts/wire behind the dial. (Please forgive me if my terminology is not correct as I am a novice). It is the set of contacts that engage/disengage when a number is dialed. I tightened the wire that leads to those contacts and messed around with the contacts while probing and the problem seems to be fixed for now.

How would I go about cleaning the contacts (as the contacts for the hookswitch has a little static every once in a while, although unrelated to the main problem) or ensuring the problem is fixed for the long term?

thanks for your help again

Phonesrfun

Take a piece of card stock, or a business card (rough, not glossy) and use it to run between the contacts when they are closed (touching each other).  If you have some contact cleaner spray you can spray that on them too.  I think Radio Shack still sells contact cleaner.

Don't use a file, sandpaper or an emery cloth on the contacts, as it can damage them by grinding off the metal coating.

Hope that helps.
-Bill G

mrshanno

thank you, I will try that tonight with the business card.