News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What would be the correct dial for my 302

Started by TIPandRING, December 22, 2008, 11:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIPandRING

Going thru one of my long and forgotten boxes...

Found my other un-restored 302. The date codes are all from '42. For example the bell assembly is stamped 3/42. It is thermoplastic body with a coiled handset cord.

Unfortunately, it seems someone had changed the dial out to an Automatic Electric rotary dial.

If I want to install a genuine WE dial, what dial do I need?

Dennis Markham

You could put a 4H or a 5H dial in there.  I think in 1942 either would be correct.  What think ye Bingster, were 5H's available in 1942?  I'm curious, does the handset on this phone read F1 or F1W??

Dennis

bingster

Phonemandave has a '37 302 on his site that he says has a dated '37 #5 dial.  So I'd say a #5 would be correct for a '41.  Lots of 302s also came with #4 dials, of course, so those would be correct, too.  I don't know what determined which 302 came with which dial, or when they went all-5, but I think either is just fine.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thank you for that information.  I thought either would be good.  As we all know "anything goes" was pretty much the policy.  Especially during war time when the phone company did anything to get a phone into service.  The #5's seem to be more plentiful and are less expensive.  I saw earlier tonight a #4 dial sold for $38.77, plus shipping.  That's a good price for the #4.  It seems the price has been in the $50-75 range depending on condition for the #4's.  This one had a finger wheel that looked pretty chewed-up, but the dial plate was very nice with the Z/O. Here is that auction that has ended:

http://tinyurl.com/7qp9n6

bingster

I was watching that one, but gave it a pass in the end.  The finger wheel (in addition to being ragged) looks aluminum to me, and I didn't want to have to plunk down $15 to replace it.  Good price, though.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I have a 1947 302 that has a 4H dial in it.  So from at least 37' to 47' either would be correct.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rp2813

All of my 302's which range from 8/38 to 6/46 have #5's.  Most have the Z/O face plate.  One of them did have a #4 dial in it many years ago, but I pulled it and put it in my 202. 
Ralph