News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Phone & Subset, Now Another Problem. Low Volume.

Started by hemi71x, March 24, 2011, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Sorry Stingo, I'm a little out of my depth with low volume issues.  If you've double-checked the wiring and it's okay, it'll take somebody with a bit more knowledge than I have.  Not to worry, I'm sure we'll get it sorted out.
= DARRIN =

Stingo

Quote from: Kenny C on April 09, 2011, 04:16:51 PM
A picture of the wiring always helps.

Thanks for responding Kenny... Here goes.... Per a different thread, "A 500 or 2500 base may also be used as a subset, in which case the diagram labeled "685 Subset" is used.  When using a 500 or 2500 base as a subset, all the switch hook wires which are soldered to the network should either be unsoldered or snipped off.  Because of this alteration to the network, only a base which has no value and which is unfit or truly not needed for regular telephone service should be used. If you don't wish to unsolder or snip the soldered wires (and that's understandable), they may be left in place, but the switch hook arm must then be tied in the down position.  Using one of these bases as a subset also requires a jumper wire to be connected between network terminals "RR" and "L1".  Any short piece of thin wire will work for this."

I did this.
Then I wired up the mounting cord from my 202 (4 wire) to the subset (see my 2 dimensional diagram below and the 685 diag below)... Due to my 2500 base being a newer 2500, there is no terminal on the board labeled "BK" for the Black wire. Bingster advised me to secure it to the "C" terminal, as shown in my diagram.  Thanks!!
~Stingo

Stingo

Quote from: bingster on April 09, 2011, 04:18:18 PM
Sorry Stingo, I'm a little out of my depth with low volume issues.  If you've double-checked the wiring and it's okay, it'll take somebody with a bit more knowledge than I have.  Not to worry, I'm sure we'll get it sorted out.

Thanks! :)
~Stingo

Kenny C

Do you have any pictres of the inside of the phone?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Stingo

Here you go....
Notice the new mounting cord, as the original one was next to impossible to strip and solder....
~Stingo

Kenny C

You know it slipped my mind but if this phone was used without a subset it could have messed it up.

I am not sure if the recivers in F1 handsets can de-magnetize. Can they bing?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Stingo

How about with a degaussing coil, like I used to use on old color TVs???
~Stingo

Kenny C

Another suggestion is to clean the contacts in the handset.

And another is try bending the contacts upwards. I read on here somewhere that they get pushed down after a while and can have limited contact with the elements. 

I could send you a F1 reciver if you don't find out what is wrong

Bingster,
   If he is getting faint dial tone could it be a break in the handset cord?

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Stingo

Already cleaned the contacts and prongs in both earpiece and mouthpiece...  Everything works but it's just real faint. Remember how when you could actually talk into the earpiece and they could hear you? It's almost just like that is going on. I'm wondering about the receiver wiring.... But heck, I'm a newbie :)  I could also rewire the handset, but I hate to cannibalize the original cord... If you have a good F1 receiver I could use to test with I'll give you an addy... I would pay you for it if it fixes it plus the shipping .... Thx :)
~Stingo

Kenny C

PM me your address I will try and get it out this week
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

I think I see the problem.  The black mounting cord conductor is connected to the "BB" contact on the dial, when it should be connected to the "BK" contact along with the black conductor of the handset cord.  Move that conductor and see what happens.

Quote from: Kenny C on April 09, 2011, 08:11:36 PM

They don't seem to be susceptible to the same damage that the older diaphragm type receivers are.  It's more of an audio quality issue with an F handset.
= DARRIN =

Stingo

Quote from: bingster on April 10, 2011, 04:06:29 PM
I think I see the problem.  The black mounting cord conductor is connected to the "BB" contact on the dial, when it should be connected to the "BK" contact along with the black conductor of the handset cord.  Move that conductor and see what happens.

Quote from: Kenny C on April 09, 2011, 08:11:36 PM

They don't seem to be susceptible to the same damage that the older diaphragm type receivers are.  It's more of an audio quality issue with an F handset.

Like this?
~Stingo

Stingo

Move the small black wire of the mounting cord to the BK terminal?
~Stingo

Stingo

Bingster, I moved it but then it was worse. So I moved it back. Even when the black wire is not connected I get the same volume.

As a side note, when I installed the new mounting cord, I connected it exactly the way the old one was so I naturally assumed it was wired correctly.
~Stingo

bingster

People tend to get in phones and move things around.  Sort of the way tinkerers can't resist taking clocks apart.  What I meant was move the small black wire of the mounting cord to the BK terminal on the dial, which is one terminal over toward the left of where it is now.
= DARRIN =