News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Model 1 phone dialing issue resolved

Started by tnorm, June 25, 2011, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnorm

I had requested help on the Northern Electric phone I have with the British Post Office Type Dial.  One of the problems was the phone would not dial out, but instead maintained a dial tone whenever I dialed.  I finally found the resolution to the problem and wanted to share it for anyone with a similar problem.  Of course it won't be the answer all the time but it is something to look for.

I obtained a photograph of a similar type dial assembly from http://www.oldphoneworks.com/model-no.-1-combined-deskset.html

When I compared the photo with my assembly, I noticed on the center "wheel" of the assembly, there was one thin, longer piece of metal that extended up.  In the photograph, this piece was located at about the 1 o'clock position on the assembly.  On my assembly, this piece was at the 10 o'clock position.  At this 10 o'clock position is a small metal "stop" that catches and stops the dialing.  My longer piece was stopping at this point when there is another small metal stub that should stop here.  After I repositioned everything according to the photograph, the phone worked perfectly.