"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer for an S-C 1212 "fatboy"

Started by RCMcDonald, November 14, 2011, 05:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMcDonald

Greetings all -

I just picked up a Stromberg-Carlson without a dial and needing some cosmetic repair that I'm trying to get cleaned up and working.  I just opened it up, though and found it has no ringer.  My guess is that this one was used with a magneto/ringerbox.  I'd like to put a ringer in it, as it looks like they're designed for one.   Does anyone know the best way to find a dial for this phone?  Are there ringers from other phones that might fit?  I have an old 302 with a broken case, but that dial looks too big.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Bob McDonald

LarryInMichigan

Bob,

If the phone was used with a magneto subset, it will not have a network in it either.  Can you post a picture of the insides so we can see what it has.

I think that the SC1212s were usually equipped with AE dials.  Finding an AE dial is not very difficult.  You can use the WE dial from your 302, but it will be wired differently.  As for the ringer, i recently bought one from Steve Hilsz (phonesurplus.com).

Larry

RCMcDonald

Hi Larry -

Thanks for the response.  It does look like there is a coil and condenser in the phone.  Won't these work for the network?

The phone came with a wiring that seems to match up with these components and includes wiring instructions for a dial (identical to a version I recently found on-line). See pics below.

LarryInMichigan

It looks like you have the network parts (induction coil and condenser).  Try Steve Hilsz for the ringer.  Gary Goff sells replacement rubber gaskets, I believe.  If you are going to use a WE #4 or #5 dial, the dial contacts which open when the dial leaves the rest position are wired in series with the receiver.  With the AE dial, the shunting contacts are wired in parallel with the receiver.  If you want an AE dial, keep looking on ebay.  They can frequently be had for less than $20.

Larry

RCMcDonald

Excellent.  Thanks for the help, Larry.  Very much appreciate the help.