News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

dial faceplates- 150, 164

Started by Babybearjs, November 16, 2011, 07:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone have NOS faceplates for the #5 and 6 dials other then OPW?? some of mine are getting so faded with use that its time to change them out.... and what about the new repros, are they just as good as the originals, or what?? I was on ebay some offering plates in plastic, which I passed on, because the baked enamal in metal just seems the right type to use. and the other question is, how important is the paper casket that under the plate?? I have several dial that are missing this casket and havent seen any replacement.... is it nessecary?  John
John

Phonesrfun

The originals are getting harder to find.  The overlays OPW sells are pretty good quality in my opinion.

I have not seen plastic faceplates, other than the overlays, which are more of a laminated plastic.

The paper thing under the faceplate is a gasket.  Caskets are generally used for burying people.  (not wanting to be picky about it, but I thought I'd be clear.  I hope you don't take offense)  :)

Anyway, it's purpose is to keep dirt and dust out of the dial, and probably would not be missed if yours was missing or so mangled that it wasnt useful any more.  I have a couple dials that are missing the gasket too..  They do get torn because it is hard to take them off over and around the dial center part without tearing it.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

Oops! darn keyboard! anyway, thank you. the main thing was the durability of the overlays. I had a dial once that had a overlay that was peeling off.... like a sticker. I just don't want that to happen again. because overlays are just that, a sticker... or am I wrong? but, the only way to actually see how it works is to try one.... thanks for the help!
John

GG

What I've done with some numberplates, has been to apply a layer of self-adhesive transparent "Contact" material to them.  "Contact" is "shelf paper" typically used to line the shelves in kitchen cabinets; it's actually thin flexible plastic, not paper. 

When used on dial numberplates it gives them more of a "satin finish" look, which is less susceptible to visual glare, but is barely noticeable in most light.

I tend to do this for WE dials most of all, because the fingerholes are large enough that a fingertip can contact the numberplate and, over time, scrape off the letters/numbers, as we've seen.  AE, SC, and Kellogg are less urgent cases because the holes in the fingerwheels are slightly smaller, reducing the likelihood of fingertips wiping away the numbers over time.  Old GPO dials I don't do this for because they have substantially smaller fingerholes.  However the backside of silkscreened GPO numberplates gets the treatment so the numbers and paint won't get scraped from contact with the metal dial housing.