News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring wont allow me to hang up properly

Started by Karen, February 03, 2012, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I have a 1978 ITT and the wiring was ALL messed up when I got it. It didnt do anything.  I finally got it to dial out, and get a normal dial tone, but I cant call in because the line just wont hang up. I have to unplug and replug in the cord. 

Is anything jumping out at you as wired wrong still, or do you know a rule of thumb on this? I know Ive come across this problem in forums before.  I really only know how deal with the phones with the screws for connections.  Still very very new at this....

Thanks!

Phonesrfun

Unfortunately, the photo just ain't going to allow anyone to really see how it is wired.  You will just need to get a diagram for a 500 and check out each wire.  If it's not hanging up, then it is really likely that a couple wires coming from the hookswitch are mis-wired to the network board.

Have you tried tracing the wires and comparing them to the diagram?  If not, there is something to be learned from doing so.

-Bill G

stub

gymcrackery,
            Hi , try moving the line in red to L1 on board .You already have line in -green on L2 and if no other wires have been moved it just might work. ;D  Here's a pic of mine.  Hope this helps .  stub        
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Quote from: gymcrackery on February 03, 2012, 09:37:21 PM
I have a 1978 ITT and the wiring was ALL messed up when I got it. It didnt do anything.  I finally got it to dial out, and get a normal dial tone, but I cant call in because the line just wont hang up. I have to unplug and replug in the cord. 

Is anything jumping out at you as wired wrong still, or do you know a rule of thumb on this? I know Ive come across this problem in forums before.  I really only know how deal with the phones with the screws for connections.  Still very very new at this....

Thanks!

Without a clear view of the wiring it is not possible to see how it is wired. In a shot-in-the-dark approach, I would suggest disconnecting at least two of the ringer leads and see if the problem goes away. If it does, that would suggest they were not correctly connected through the capacitor, which in turn allow the ringer windings to seize the line until you unplug it.

stub

gymcrackery ,
                      Did you ever get this phone to work right?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

No I didnt.

I honestly am just getting the feel for these phones.  Ive fixed several of them, mostly 500 models.  This one I just couldnt get.  Ive only been at this hobby since November  :)  So far I can basically rewire them, fix simple problems like the ringer not working, get the dial returning smooth...  I guess "1st grade" stuff in the world of the rotary phone. 

Im eager to learn though. I wish I understood more of the components better.  I just got a beautiful galion that is super crackly.  Those old cloth covered copper wires are not fun to work with.  But in the end, I think it was actually the receiver element.  I dont know WHY I think that, it just doesnt seem to be the wiring and I dont know what else would make it cut in and out like that.  Plus it doesnt ring.  The galion phone is one Ive had NO luck with each time Ive tried. 

bingster

Try replacing the handset cord with a similar one from another phone, just for testing purposes.  Intermittent shorts and breaks in the handset cord can play all sorts of havoc with things that might seem on the surface to be completely unrelated.

As for the ringing problem,  North sets were used by independents, and are very likely to have a frequency ringer (for party lines).  If you post a photo of the ringer, we'll be able to tell you if it is a frequency ringer (and if it is, it probably won't work on a standard individual phone line).
= DARRIN =

dsk

Try to follow this diagram:

At this page look at the diagram: 500 Series Desk Telephones, 500cd Tl
http://alturl.com/ciov2
The hook switch is very easy to identify. The wires to letter B,C and D,E is of importance, the others are of less importance, and may not be on all telephones. (actually if one of this 2 sets works, it will break the dial tone)

The diagram is from an earlier W.E. 500 where the  hook switch wires are soldered to the network. All connections on your network will probably be spaded and just to press in.

We look foreward to hear how it turns out.

dsk

stub

gymcrackery,
                    When you are ready, we can do a complete rewire :o.  Yes you can , it's not that hard. ::)
Clean the wires with a damp cloth , so you can see different colors and remove every thing you can unscrew or unplug till it looks like this-  Hookswitch wires-   SLATE = L 2
                                                                           SLATE / yellow = L 2
                                                                           SLATE / brown = C
                                                                             SLATE / black = R
                                                                            SLATE / green = L 1
                                                                            SLATE / white = F
                                                                               SLATE / red = GN              You can left click on pictures to magnify them.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

gymcrackery,
                    Now we can do the dial and handset-  DIAL Wires - 1st White wire = R
                                                                                               2 nd White wire = GN
                                                                                                      Green wire = RR
                                                                                                         Blue wire = F
 HANDSET wires- White wire = R
                          White wire = GN
                           Black wire = B
                             Red wire = R
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

gymcrackery,
                      Now for the ringer and the line in wires.   RINGER wires-  Red wire = L 1
                                                                                                         Black wire = L 2
                                                                                                 Slate / red wire = A
                                                                                                         Slate wire = K
  LINE in wire -  Green wire = L 1
                           Red wire = L 2
Tape and store  yellow and black wires - not used anymore.   That should have you fixed up.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield