News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 802 Slow Dial

Started by Jim Mc, November 20, 2009, 09:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Mc

This is my first new old phone.  I believe it is from 1966 as it has 11-66-10 stamped on it along with the model number NB 802 CXX.  When it arrived from ebay, the dial wouldn't return it self.  I sprayed the spring, governor and gears with electrical contact cleaner and it freed up. 

It seems to return at normal speed when just playing with it, but when connected, it will not dial a number UNLESS I also push the numbers backward after pulling a number.  (If that's not clear, I mean I have to pull the rotary dial both ways in order to make a call.)  I've cleaned the contacts on the reed switches, so I'm pretty sure it is a speed issue.  After I spray it with contact cleaner, the dial will work so that I don't have to push the numbers back after dialing, but after 1-2 good calls, I get the same problem. 

I've also noticed that with the number 2 I have the most problem.  After I dial a 2, oftentimes I can still hear the dial tone.  I don't have the issue with 3 or even 1.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on lubricating the mechanism or something else to look for?  If it is not a lubrication issue, but rather a speed issue, how do you adjsut the speed? 

Thanks,

Jim

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum!

The dial needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned.  Just spraying parts on the outside will not get to the parts inside the dial, and the governor cannot do its job if it is lubricated at all.

Probably the best approach is to send the dial to Steve Hilsz to be cleaned.  He is very reasonable.  If you have mechanical skills, there are instructions posted for the disassembly, reassembly and lubricating of AE dials that are pretty good.
-Bill G

dmfergie

Just curious, does your 802 have a ringer or bell? I have the same model with no bell or ringer, looks like one was never installed.

AE_Collector

Quote from: dmfergie on February 20, 2012, 04:47:21 PM
Just curious, does your 802 have a ringer or bell? I have the same model with no bell or ringer, looks like one was never installed.

Jim Mc hasn't posted on here since December 2009 so don't hold your breath for a reply from him!

However, welcome to the rotary forum. It is really an AE 80, 802 is just part of the model number from the base. These were available from the manufacturer (Automatic Electric) with or without a ringer. The base markings quite often have something like CXX where the XX indicates it originally was not equiped wit ha ringer. However, AE is not very consistant with their markings on phones!

Terry