News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to replace wall mount Trimline modular plug?

Started by Willytx, March 01, 2012, 11:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willytx

The title says it all.

I have a wall mount Trimline that needs a new modular plug. I have one ordered but looking at the mostly broken one, can't figure out how to put a new sliding modular plug into the groove. At the ends of the slot the metal has been punched down to prevent the plug from coming out. Do I have to bend those clear to install the new plug or is there some special way to turn a new plug into place? If it matters, the mounting plate was added and the original is underneath it.

Thanks.

Vern P

It has been some time since I did replace one of these, but as I remember, I bent the tabs to put the jack in, them bent them back to hold it in place.

Vern P

Willytx

Knocking those tabs in would be easy since this back is removable but bending them back afterward might not be  so easy.

I went ahead and broke the plug out all the way, only one cracked ear was still holding it in. On the lower side is a wedge shaped tab, flange, whatever. Looking at it like that makes me think a new plug would be pressed in to lock.

Comparing the back to my Stromberg Carlson 1654 (second photo), there is nothing to bend out of the way to remove the plug. The only way for a new plug to go in would be press it in place and installation would be a one time deal with no way to remove it without destroying it.

If anyone has actually pressed one of these into place, please let me know. I only ordered one replacement plug, dang it. Otherwise I may just go with a punch and a hammer to allow me to slide a new plug in.

Jester

Quote from: Willytx on March 03, 2012, 11:42:49 PM

Comparing the back to my Stromberg Carlson 1654 (second photo), there is nothing to bend out of the way to remove the plug. The only way for a new plug to go in would be press it in place and installation would be a one time deal with no way to remove it without destroying it.

If anyone has actually pressed one of these into place, please let me know. I only ordered one replacement plug, dang it. Otherwise I may just go with a punch and a hammer to allow me to slide a new plug in.

I have removed & replaced many of these without destroying the plug.  Replacing one is pretty much what you described.  I feed the conductor leads into the opening first, then slide one slotted side of the plug onto one edge of the hole & pop the other side into place with my thumb-- done deal.  The ramped lower flange will allow you to do this, and is strong enough to take the abuse, if you aren't too forceful.  If you'll notice, one side of your plug has two inner(ramped) flanges placed high & low on the plug body, and the opposite side has one in the center, directly across from the "plug".  I always slide the two-flanged side on first, then snap the single flange into place by forcing it in by pressing downward on the plug with my thumb.  An alternative method is to slide a thin bladed, slotted screwdriver between the rail on that part of the slide opening & the outside edge of the plug body & leverage it into place.  Removal is basically the same trick--stick screwdriver between inner rail & plug body--side with one inner tab-- pry in & lift up.  Works every time.  If you do destroy your replacement, I have brand new extras & can send you one.
Stephen

Willytx

Thanks for the assistance, Jester. The plug that was on tihs phone was cracked and crumbling, making it difficult to figure out. I have the new plug now and will give it a try later.

It sounds like everything should "snap" into place. ;D

Thanks.