News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 500 is having issues dialing out correctly

Started by Karen, March 26, 2012, 06:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Everything else is working fine. Its still takes calls and rings.  But when I try to dial out the dial tone never goes away after each swipe of a number.  Then after 3 or 4 numbers the operater comes on saying the call cant be completed. 

From what ive seen online I THINK the dial wires are connected correctly, but can someone take a look and tell me if anything jumps out at you as wrong.  Ive tried switching the two white wires but that makes no difference.

I know its hard to see but I have white1>R, 2nd white>gn, G>RR, B>F

Phonesrfun

The dial wires are connected correctly, and reversing the two white wires will not accomplish anything, since they are not sensitive to polarity.  When you replaced the white that is connected to GN, however, it is almost touching the B terminal, so consider moving it slightly so it doesn't touch.

What kind of phone service are you on?  A regular phone line provided by a phone company, or are you, like many of us these days, on a "line" provided by an internet provider or FIOS or other such "provider"?  These others are very picky about dial speed and have caused all kinds of problems with people buying old phones and not being able to dial out.

If you are on a legacy type phone line, then I would suspect the dial pulsing is off, either as to timing or the dial may be malfunctioning entirely.
-Bill G

G-Man

Quote from: Karen on March 26, 2012, 06:54:01 PM
Everything else is working fine. Its still takes calls and rings.  But when I try to dial out the dial tone never goes away after each swipe of a number.  Then after 3 or 4 numbers the operater comes on saying the call cant be completed. 

From what ive seen online I THINK the dial wires are connected correctly, but can someone take a look and tell me if anything jumps out at you as wrong.  Ive tried switching the two white wires but that makes no difference.

I know its hard to see but I have white1>R, 2nd white>gn, G>RR, B>F
Are you using it with a traditional service or a cable company/voip service? Have you connected another rotary dial telephone that is known to be working ok?

Karen

Yeah its a regular land line service, which Ive tested dozens of phones on.  This is disappointing. I already sold this.  Going to have to refund :(

twocvbloke

Might want to try the method I've been playing about with to test dial speeds:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6216.0

Your description sounds just like my black WE500 when I tried it on our current BT line, wouldn't dial out and kept getting the three-tone salute from the exchange...

Phonesrfun

Let's keep it simple.  Can you post a picture of the back of the dial with the plastic cover off?  That might tell us something.

-Bill G

Karen

Sure thing

Phonesrfun

While holding the dial in one hand and looking at the back of it, dial a zero when the dial winds back down, the spring contacts that are connected to the green and blue wires should open and close distinctively once for each digit, so if you dial a zero, they should open and close 10 times as the dial winds down.  a 5 would open and close 5 distinct times.  You can hold it back and let it return slowly in order to observe it.

A dial with normal speed should pulse 10 times per second, which means that dialing a zero should take it 1 second to return by itself.

If the springs are NOT opening and closing, that would cause the symptom you are describing.  If they are not opening and closing, we will need to look at why not.

Also, make sure that the blue and green wires are not touching or shorting out at the base of the terminal strip on the back of the dial.
-Bill G

Karen

Well the blue and greens are not touching.  And the seems to be pulsing 10 times for a 0. 

Strange. 

Phonesrfun

Try this to help isolate the problem.  With the phone off the hook and while listening to the dial tone, unhook the green dial wire from the network and see if it breaks the connection, which it should.  If it does, then the issue has to be with the dial itself.

Let us know what you find.

-Bill G

stub

Karen,
         As Bill stated if that works we need to look at the dial. When you start to dial a number with the back of dial facing you ,does the white plastic piece( in my pic)rotate counterclockwise and stop on the 2nd. contact as you dial a zero? Then when released does it rotate back and stop and hold the 1st contact still while the black cam ( 2nd. pic) opens and closes the 2nd contact?  Sometime these get bent. Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield