News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help needed identifying this telephone.

Started by jonboysez, September 29, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonboysez

Any ideas what this is?  I intend to convert it to use in the UK if I can find out what it is.

twocvbloke

A random stab-in-the-dark guess would bean Ericsson, but I haven't a clue which model... ???

rdelius

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a very close relative to the Dutch PTT phone by Standard Electric.

Larry

dsk

I think I have a similar one:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/dsk/Telephone/dusty%20phones/?albumview=slideshow
A Standard telephone sold here to smaller telcos, and for use at PABX's. It was sold by Standard Telefon og Kabelfabrikk (=STC) later ITT.

Converting to UK is easy, it should be a wiring diagram inside.

I have to locate and open mine to find it. If it is the original Dial it may be sensitive to right speed.

dsk

jonboysez

Yes I do believe it is that Standard telephone, thanks very much. I did remove the dial  and wished I hadn't - it took me quite a while to get it back in the right position but it seems fine now. I will do some research on Standard phones.

dsk

:D
I do always mix up the wires in UK system. Different numbers on plug and socket. You should connect the ringer lead to E, remove the strap between L1 and E and connect the 2 others to L1 and L2. If it doesent ring, change L1 and L2.

Someone will always demand you to unsolder the connection to S  and put in a resistor to make it right. But if it works my way (and it does) why not ???

dsk

jonboysez

twocvbloke

If you buy one of these line cables:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300783912384  ( dead link 11/10/17 )

Then the Blue wire is the ringer wire, the Red wire is B (or L1) and White is A (or L2), the green wire is Earth and is not needed... :)

Can't be sure how to wire that phone myself though, but most phones are easy to get working... :)

dsk

Here is the diagram.

Its free for copying and use!

dsk

jonboysez

I notice the wiring diagram mentions a jumper between C and S and this jumper is in place on my phone - should I remove it? Tried the phone and there is no dial tone at all - the bell did make some noise when I used mobile phone to call it, but the gongs obviously want adjusting as it sounds more like a vibrating noise than a ring. I have just noticed the 4th (far right) wire to the dial has come off (the plastic piece the wires go through is cracked in half and the screw is missing from the 4th connection), so I will have to reattach that somehow - think this might be why there is no dial tone?

dsk

The dial wires red-slate, and red-blue has to be there to get dial tone.

The strap S-C is of minor importance, you could try if it makes any difference.

Another cause of missing dial tone may be the transmitter, all the current is traveling trough this one.

The ringer has a quite tense bias spring, you may try to adjust it.

The ringer should be adjusted to let the hammer move 3-5 mm. when the ringer rests one either side, it should almost touch the bell. The bells are ex-centric, and could be turned to its best position.

dsk

jonboysez

I have reattached the 4th dial wire and there is the slightest dial tone - can just about make it out, but its hardly noticeable. I assumed it must have been this wire because when I originally touched the crimp tag against the terminal I could hear a click in the earpiece, but reattaching it hasn't made much of a difference. If its the earpiece in the receiver then its going to be hard to find a replacement I would think. Generally getting bad vibes about this one - if they are going to work they usually do without too much playing about from past experience - this one might have to be a "work-in-progress" or else a sell on for parts/restoration.

dsk

A strap from L2 to T should give you dial tone, if not move it to be from L2 to RT. If still nothing the dial wires may be really mixed up.

A picture of the dial from inside of the cabinet could help.

The circuit itselves should be as good as the WE302.

dsk

jonboysez

Tried the strap between L2 and T, and L2 and RT - neither made a louder dial tone. I definitely have a dial tone but it is very weak - maybe we are spoilt in the UK with a loud dial tone? I have an ericsson phone from Sweden and I can't get a loud dial tone on that either, and when I tried calling someone they could hardly hear me. I've not actually tried phoning anyone from this Standard phone but I suspect they will have trouble hearing me similarly. Just out of interest, do you know if any phone should work ok in any country, considering different voltages on the wire etc? Maybe some phones are incompatible on the UK network?