News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E Model 80 rings in sync with dialing?

Started by Partyline4, February 12, 2013, 09:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I have noticed on both of my A.E Model 80's that if the ringer paddle is close enough to one of the bells, and when a number is dialed, it chirps!

I thought this was completely normal as it has had no ill effects. However, I want to make sure that this is a normal thing and I don't have something wired up wrong

It took me 2 hours to get that darned ringer adjusted JUUUST right!

LarryInMichigan

That is the reason that most ringers have bias springs.  The bias spring keeps the clapper from moving for small voltage swings.  Dialing on the line causes voltage changes which the ringer detects.

Larry

AE_Collector

If it is the phone that is being dialled (not another one on the same line) that has "bell taps" you can move the ringer or capacitor lead off of 8 and over to 6 which puts the bell circuit through the switch hook. When off hook the bell is disconnected from the circuit this way.

Terry

G-Man

Also a reversal of polarity may solve your problem. You can reverse it at any point but it's probably easiest to switch the red and green wires of the line cord inside of your set.

Partyline4

Well I must have the wring model then..

The cap is hooked to pins 16 and 7. 7 being the black ( assuming ground) wire.

I'm assuming the red and green correspond to those on for the incoming LINE voltage, which when ringing is 112VAC. When idle the line is 49.4VDC.

The white wire is also hooked to 16.

Such an amazing network of sorts.

I have about two phones that do this. It seems that many people remove the black lead from the transformers all together!

The black lead is always missing on these old phones.

Possibly the solution?

AE_Collector

16 is a "bunching point" only used to connect the ringer coil to the capacitor. So you should have one side of the ringer and one side of the capacitor on 16. Older models had a gray capacitor mounted to the frame of the ringer with a white and a black lead connected to it. Sounds as though that is what you have. You have white on 16 (check that it is from the capacitor) and you need either red or green from the ringer there as well. Then the black capacitor lead and the "other" (red or green) ringer leads need to be hooked on 8 and 10, doesn't matter which goes where. Not sure wha t7 is that your black capacitor lead is currently hooked to.

If you have a yellow and/or a black on your line cord, don't connect them at all, just insulate and store them.

In summary, try this:
Red Riner - 10
Green Ringer - 16
WHite Capacitor - 16
Black Capacitor - 8

Terry

poplar1

Also, the clapper should not touch either gong when at rest; there should be an air gap.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.