News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bridge rectifier/western electric 2500

Started by southernphoneman, March 23, 2013, 09:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

i have watched telephones being repaired on youtube(i don t know if i can say the name of the guy on the forum so i won t ).when i saw a model 2500 being repaired in this one video, the phone had no polarity. the repairman in stalled a bridge rectifier. to repair the polarity problem.can someone explain to me how to build one and how i would install it in a 2500? any input would be appreciated. thankyou.....southernphoneman.

DavePEI

Quote from: southernphoneman on March 23, 2013, 09:10:20 PM
i have watched telephones being repaired on youtube(i don t know if i can say the name of the guy on the forum so i won t ).when i saw a model 2500 being repaired in this one video, the phone had no polarity. the repairman in stalled a bridge rectifier. to repair the polarity problem.can someone explain to me how to build one and how i would install it in a 2500? any input would be appreciated. thankyou.....southernphoneman.
It is just a standard bridge rectifier connected across the line then to the phone so that the polarity reaching the phone is always the same (important with TT dials). That way if the tip and ring are reversed back from the phone, the dial will continue operating. Newer phones had polarity protection built in, but on the early TT dials, either it needed to be provided, or it had to be connected with the correct polarity.

On an older TT phone connected with ring and tip reversed, the phone will ring, and you can talk on it, but you can't dial, as the dial won't produce tones. Use a protector, or manually reverse tip and ring, and it will work fine.

http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/parts/pg.htm

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/polarity-guard.html

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

southernphoneman

my thanks goes out to dave pei once  again. i will check it out. beleive it or not i had a model 2500 that was developing this problem.a bridge rectifier might have solved it. however at that point i was in need of a phone to part out,so that 2500 was removed from the collection inventory.plus it had that crappy 4228 network that i can not stand, but in the future if i need to work on my other 2500 i can refer back to this . i will however refer to those web sites that you provided because i will research it and possibly try my hand at building one. thanks again dave pei....southernphoneman

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on March 23, 2013, 09:10:20 PM

The guy you were watching is Dennis Mcdonald.