News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric model 50 that does not ring on receiving a call.

Started by nytelephoneguy, April 25, 2013, 02:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Be sure to set meter to measure AC volts for ringing voltage.

I think you need several more AE 40 & 50 sets to test with! :)

Terry

nytelephoneguy

Terry:

I was on AC volts during reading. I doubled checked with a Fluke 77 and another multimeter. Both the other old rotary phones ring fine. This is my first Automatic Electric Phone.

PS
Did Stub mean .1uf  or 1 uf capacitor?

John

stub

John,
        1.0 micro farad  ( 1.0 uf )  Output of FIOS ATA is 47.9 volts AC without phone connected?
         I looked thru all the catalogs I had and couldn't find your ringer at 3.9 k ohms, the highest I could find was 2.76k total ohms.
 stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

John, can you tell us what the label says---I thought it was 1800 ohms for each coil, but now that I look again I can't read it. Also, the part number and capacitor value on the label would help.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

David,
         Here's what I got off his label-  ringer # D-56462 - B
                                                          Left coil- D-281352 - B
                                                        Right coil- D-281351 - B
                                                        1800 ohms - 1800 ohms
                                                         Use  .2 MF Condenser          stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

nytelephoneguy

Yep:

47.9 volts AC across red and green wires disconnected from telephone. As I look again the left ringer coil is all black without markings. I wonder if it is the wrong coil. I might try to resolder the coil connections to make sure they have a good connection.

John

stub

John,
         Output of FIOS ATA (47.9 VAC ) is not enough for the power hungry AE ringer. I don't have a clue how to boost that ATA.. you might see if you can get a lower resistance SL AE ringer that will fit in the AE 50 .     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

nytelephoneguy

Thanks all:

Stub, I will try and call Verizon  and see if they can boost voltage at my entry point. Also is it possible to have only one coil to  operate since there is a spring return on the bell clapper? The WE phones must really use little power.

John

stub

John,
        You can remove one side of the ringer wire and put a clip lead( jumper) in the middle of the coils and clip it to the loose ringer wire and see if you can get it to ring.
         The boost on your line will have to come from your end.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

nytelephoneguy

Stub:

Thank you. I will try this as soon as I can along with the capacitor check. I do not have much time this week but I will update with results. Thanks all for you input.

John

poplar1

Does a Panasonic 616 or 61610 Key System have enough juice to ring these old AE ringers? If so, this might be an option, particularly for anyone having more than 5 ringers even on a POTS telephone line.

The Panasonic 616 should ring around 32 phones if connected to an outside line. This will give you 16 station ports and up to 6 line ports.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

That ringer has been repaired before .The coil with the paper band is off a freq ringer (this does not matter) but the capacitor value is not high enough to ring it. You do have a SL ringer assy. Make sure the coils are jumpered together with a ohm meter and the black coil with no band has a similar resistance.The earlier AE ringers had different impedance coils on different freq ringers

nytelephoneguy

Success!!!

Rdelius:

I have solved my problem as you posted your note. Thank you for this information. It did look strange to have that black coil.

I tried bypassing the left (black) ringer coil on the ringer and I got a ting on the bell. I then tried using the 1.0 uf capacitor with only the right ringer coil and I got a working ringer; nice and loud. I soldered the new capacitor across the original capacitor and also new wiring on the coils. I connected all the original wires and it tested complete. It appears I had 3 problems; low voltage to the network, a possible low value or bad capacitor and a defective left ringer coil. I have 1.9k ohms on the right ringer coil now.
Thank you all who helped to solve my problems and get me going in the right direction. I am glad I found such talent and skill within this great forum.

Regards:
John Kovach