"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1953 Stromberg Carlson 1243WK weird issues

Started by QUIKRIDE86, June 12, 2017, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: QUIKRIDE86 on June 13, 2017, 08:18:13 PM
Opps.....just realized I connected the wrong ones poplar1. I removed the jumper I put between G and C-1 and moved it to between L2 and G. Steve

Now that you have eliminated the "air gap" between L2 and G, you can remove the yellow wire from G. (You might insulate and store it.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

QUIKRIDE86

Quote from: poplar1 on June 13, 2017, 08:33:14 PM
Now that you have eliminated the "air gap" between L2 and G, you can remove the yellow wire from G. (You might insulate and store it.)
OK, will do!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: QUIKRIDE86 on June 13, 2017, 08:22:08 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts everyone. Just wanted to address everyone's comments once I got back home from work. With these changes I will bring the phone to my job tomorrow to try it out. If it doesn't ring I'll try and get the voltages to further troubleshoot. Steve
You can certainly determine whether it's releasing the line properly with just the resistance measurement ranges on a DMM or VOM even though not particularly valid leakage tests nor of course ringing.

dsk

I guess you have solved it!
That is not a ringer from EE8 but rather from another like AN/GRA-6.
Should work!

dsk

QUIKRIDE86

I just got in to work where I could test it and IT WORKED!  :D Finally found what was wrong due to all your help guys. Thank you so much for all the advice. The amount of knowledge on here is amazing.....glad I found this group.

QUIKRIDE86

Quote from: dsk on June 14, 2017, 12:39:52 AM
I guess you have solved it!
That is not a ringer from EE8 but rather from another like AN/GRA-6.
Should work!

dsk
Yes! Seems it was that missing jumper (L2-->G) due to the original line having it jumped at the wall jack. Glad poplar1 gave that heads up. I was totally missing it.

dsk

Congratulations!

Found some data from an army manual: TM11-5038 p.74

RINGER, telephone: 20 cyc harmonic; non adi
armature; 2555 ohms +/-10%; 2 1/2" diam x 1" h
max o/a; 2 1/2" diam gong; footed bracket mtg, two
#8-32 holes on 2" mtg/c; coil varnish impr and
dipped; Fed Tele & Rad part/dwg #GH-1535-2.

dsk

QUIKRIDE86

Quote from: dsk on June 14, 2017, 10:10:11 AM
Congratulations!

Found some data from an army manual: TM11-5038 p.74

RINGER, telephone: 20 cyc harmonic; non adi
armature; 2555 ohms +/-10%; 2 1/2" diam x 1" h
max o/a; 2 1/2" diam gong; footed bracket mtg, two
#8-32 holes on 2" mtg/c; coil varnish impr and
dipped; Fed Tele & Rad part/dwg #GH-1535-2.

dsk
Oh cool! Thanks for looking that up, good to know. The 2774ohms I got is well within spec then!

mentalstampede

I have seen those ringers installed in Stromberg Carlson and AE phones before. Since these phones were often used on party lines, perhaps a previous "refurbisher" was fond of using them to replace frequency ringers.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

QUIKRIDE86

Quote from: mentalstampede on June 14, 2017, 11:43:05 AM
I have seen those ringers installed in Stromberg Carlson and AE phones before. Since these phones were often used on party lines, perhaps a previous "refurbisher" was fond of using them to replace frequency ringers.
Looks that way. They did a pretty rough job of hogging out the holes for it. It's all good now!